Renewable Fuel Oil Application in NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
This is really neat. I was looking into trying to make a biofuel out of waste veggie oil to run our oil stove on, but gave up that idea after looking into the details. I assume this company isn't into the home market because of the economics, not because the product wouldn't work?

Home heating appliances burn #1 or #2 fuel oil (or diesel in a pinch). This product is targeted to #4 and #6 oil users. Generally #4 and #6 require preheating and more aggressive atomization that is not present in a home heating system.

I'm scared to try diesel in the oil stove - I think it will carbon up pretty quickly. Most of the bio-oils seem to be heavier than #1 and #2, too bad.

We'll probably eventually replace the oil stove with a wood cookstove, but it is a nice heritage feature and still in great condition, and it's more convenient too, so for the moment we'll keep it and hope that an easy, renewable choice comes along sooner rather than later.

RFO is not biodiesel from waste cooking oil. Looks like a distilate from a anaerobic wood burning stove. Sort of like how charcoal is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.