Renewing my "gym" membership - Oak Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the threads of the some of the Hearth members and their firewood finds was making me feel so envious. Finally, my turn!!! My next door neighbor is replacing a shed with a larger version and decided to have 10 oak trees, red and white, taken down. He came over last week and asked if I was interested in the logs because it would save him some money. Well, of course my answer was a resounding yes. He then asked how many I would want and we all know the answer to that question - "All of them" A few pics of the score. There were two piles, the smaller of the two has already been bucked.

Larrys-1.jpg Larrys-2.jpg Larrys-3.jpg

Nice! To quote Hooper, "you're gonna need a bigger saw."

Reactions: Dix
Very nice! Now just wait three years and you will have some nice firewood there.

You better get to splittin and stackin.

KC

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That oak is going to split like slices of cucumber. Nice score Mac.:)
Its moving the rounds to the splitter that will get you in shape.

Nice! To quote Hooper, "you're gonna need a bigger saw."
I'm not sure if the 562xp is even broke-in; I purchased it last July, but it does cut sweet. It's wearing a 20" bar with full chisel and seems to get the job done.

Very nice! Now just wait three years and you will have some nice firewood there.
You better get to splittin and stackin. KC
After it's all cut and split I should be five years ahead when added to my current stacks. That'll be a good feeling knowing I have fuel for the new Fireview that was just installed.

That oak is going to split like slices of cucumber. Nice score Mac.:)
Its moving the rounds to the splitter that will get you in shape.
I have a horiz splitter so lifting the big ones is going to be the toughest part. I might have to invite my nephew over to help lift those for the initial split then the rest will be much easier.

You're absolutely right @Jags :)

Nothing wrong with a 562xp... but I'd be using that pile as an excuse to buy a MS660 (or 390xp, if you must buy Husqvarna).

Man club motto, "every job should require the purchase of one new toy... errr, tool."

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a 562xp... but I'd be using that pile as an excuse to buy a MS660 (or 390xp, if you must buy Husqvarna).

Man club motto, "every job should require the purchase of one new toy... errr, tool."

Maybe I am not a man then. I see no need for a larger saw and if every job required a new purchase, then it is a really poor job. Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without. That can save a man a lot of money. So, is it the sign of a man to buy new tools or what if that man puts those dollars into the bank. Which is in better shape?

Thats an awesome score ! To bad you dont have a saw mill some of those oaks are so very straight ! Could get some good money for those . Welcome to the forum .

562XP will handle that with ease ..

After bucking it up, it will maul split easy after drying for a few months. It's ready when you see drying splits in the end of the rounds. That said they are big rounds, I'd get the splitter out, swing it vertical and split them now. Nice looking wood.

now that should keep ya busy for a while.....that is a chit load of BTU's right thar:cool:......and right next door, can it get any better

Reactions: Macpolski
now that should keep ya busy for a while.....that is a chit load of BTU's right thar:cool:......and right next door, can it get any better
Right next door is great! I'm going to hit it this morning for some bucking as long as the rain holds out.
After bucking it up, it will maul split easy after drying for a few months. It's ready when you see drying splits in the end of the rounds. That said they are big rounds, I'd get the splitter out, swing it vertical and split them now. Nice looking wood.
I gave the splitter some TLC yesterday; fresh air filter, new oil, and a new plug *it really needed a plug*. Sad to say it's horizontal only but it is a workhorse.
Thats an awesome score ! To bad you dont have a saw mill some of those oaks are so very straight ! Could get some good money for those . Welcome to the forum .
562XP will handle that with ease ..
Keep the chain sharp and it rips pretty darn good. Very happy with it.
I think your neighbor is one nice person.
I agree. Good neighbor.

I scored some very wet hickory rounds, and was on my own, so I cut an inch deep "X" in the top of each to start a wedge, and got them halved then quartered fairly easily. 25% of the weight beats 100% of the weight any day!! :) I was using three wedges per round holding the fourth in reserve for an emergency.

Right next door is great!
Not to mention not having to deal with the brush. Super score! ::-)

I wouldn't rassle those heavy rounds. That straight trunk wood will split pretty easy; The Red Oak will practically jump apart with a maul around the edges of the round, or split 'em in half with a sledge and a couple wedges. Your body will thank you for not lifting those wet ones! <>

I scored some very wet hickory rounds, and was on my own, so I cut an inch deep "X" in the top of each to start a wedge, and got them halved then quartered fairly easily. 25% of the weight beats 100% of the weight any day!! :) I was using three wedges per round holding the fourth in reserve for an emergency.
Not to mention not having to deal with the brush. Super score! ::-)
I wouldn't rassle those heavy rounds. That straight trunk wood will split pretty easy; The Red Oak will practically jump apart with a maul around the edges of the round, or split 'em in half with a sledge and a couple wedges. Your body will thank you for not lifting those wet ones! <>

I've used wedges before and 25% is a whole lot lighter! but as it turned out by nephew showed up for some fun. We separated the big rounds and quartered those on the splitter. Some of those made me grunt a bit but it went fairly quick. We put a good dent in that log pile.

The brush, I'm loving that there wasn't any. That can be a real pain. So all in all, today was a good day. :)

562xp has lot of power. Its a little less power than my CS670 and I love it. The next time you need a chain I would go for a full chisel Skip tooth. I recently bought one and then ordered 2 more They are just amazing. They seem to stay sharper longer and cut way faster. also it was only $18 for a 24".

Clean logs are the way to go. No brush to clean up at all. One suggestion for the next time you get some logs is to put down some stringers first under them. Makes life a whole lot easier having them up off the ground. I also like to get logs that size laid out flat. With each log free you can concentrate on cutting just it. There are no problems getting them apart, making sure your tip doesn't catch another log or worrying about another log shifting and crushing you.

I dunno... but I do know who's having more fun with it! ;-)

Just having some fun, Dennis. My two larger saws are both 20 years old.

Joful, I knew what you meant but I would hate to see new folks get the idea that they have to own several saws and axes and mauls, etc. Shoot, I got along with one saw for many, many moons. It was only a practically begging job of my wife that got me to buy a small saw for cutting up the tops. One saw and one saw chain is all I had for years and got along just fine. Now that I have the smaller saw, I find myself reaching for that first! And yes, now I have 2 saws and still have but one chain per saw. Can't see the sense in tieing up dollars on extra chains. When the chain gets dull, it gets sharpened, even if I am out in the woods at the time.

When the chain gets dull, it gets sharpened, even if I am out in the woods at the time.

What do you do if it gets pinched and you need to cut it free? What if you discover it is missing the top of two teeth? I have 5 saws a 14" c-man, a cs300 16"(one hander), a poulan pro 20", a cs670 24", and an 850 promac 28". My go to saw is a cs670 Echo 24" skip tooth chain, but all of them have their place. in all I have less than $200 invested including chains. Yes $200

I have got the saw pinched exactly one time. I went and borrowed a saw from a neighbor (who wasn't home at the time).

If the chain is missing the top of 2 teeth, I would know it when it happened rather than discover it.

You have about $185 more in chains than I have but it is not an investment; it is a cost. Even when i was logging, I had one saw and one chain. When the chain wears out, then it is time to buy a new one. To me having extra chains for the saw is like buying a new set of tires for the car or truck just to have on hand for when you need a new tire. I'd rather have that $200 in my pocket or in the bank.

It really does not bother me that you feel the need for extra saws and chains. Each to their own. I just wish to point out to others, especially new folks, that it is not necessary to tie up the dollars. Just imagine a new guy starting out. He will be having a large layout of cash if he feels he has to have many saws and chains and other equipment. That, I fear, is a turnoff for many who then decide that this wood burning is too costly.

I also got by with one saw for many years, a 40cc Homelite EZ Auto with a 16" bar. It was a good saw, not fast, but tons of grunt. However, the CAD bug bit me, and I had as many as 7 saws in my shed a year ago. Like you, my small saw (Husq. T435) is the one I reach for most, but I've found I really get a kick out of running bigger saws. I had a Stihl 084 (122cc) in my hands a few weeks ago... a real treat. My go-to saw for big piles like Macpolski's oak is the Stihl 064, which is a mighty hard saw to beat on power/weight ratio for rounds of that size.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.