Rental Car question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smoke show

Recently at work we needed to start long distance traveling for training.

Before it was always within driving distance, and we would just take a company car and a wad of cash a go.

Now we need to fly to our destination and rent a car once we arrive.

The boss man tells me I need to use my credit card to rent it cause I'll be the one driving.

Is there any other avenues for getting a rental car without setting up a corporate account(only need it a few times a year)?

He says we can't use the business's card because it needs to be the renters card.

Any help is appreciated.

Question, are you an employee or a subcontractor for the company?
I know that it might be tough for small companies to handle corporate cards, but I'd insist on either having the company prepay the car rental or kick up a corporate card for you to use. Just doesn't seem right for you to risk your own personal credit should your employer be late in reimbursing you for company expenses.

On another note, before we had corporate cards at my employer, a lot of folks used to use their own Marriot (Hotel) cards for business travel and then get reimbursed, and then by the end of the year they racked up enough points to take the family on vacation.

Go to the online site for the Airport and there should be a link for car rentals. All of these car rentals have online booking so your car will be booked before you arrive. You can put up a credit card but the billing doesn't post until you return the car. I've always done it this way and it works for me.

smoke show said:
He says we can't use the business's card because it needs to be the renters card.

Any help is appreciated.

Not true. I use a business AmEx card to rent cars all the time.

daveswoodhauler said:
I know that it might be tough for small companies to handle corporate cards, but I'd insist on either having the company prepay the car rental or kick up a corporate card for you to use. Just doesn't seem right for you to risk your own personal credit should your employer be late in reimbursing you for company expenses.

On another note, before we had corporate cards at my employer, a lot of folks used to use their own Marriot (Hotel) cards for business travel and then get reimbursed, and then by the end of the year they racked up enough points to take the family on vacation.

The whole story is-

I'm an employee, working for a small mom and pop business.

They don't have a company cc. I'm pushing them to get one, for the purpose of rental cars and hotels.

The bosses argument is that it needs to be my card to rent a car for me, so it doesn't pay to get a company card.

I've spent a little time on rental car websites(not much) and it didn't jump out at me if its possible or how to do it.

smoke show said:
daveswoodhauler said:

T
The bosses argument is that it needs to be my card to rent a car for me, so it doesn't pay to get a company card.

This is not true. The rental company I used never even sees the credit card once it is on file. Just get in the car, show my ID, drive it off, return it, and they ask if I want to keep it on the same credit card.

I do this at least 15 times/year for the past 5 years.

smoke show said:
The whole story is-

I'm an employee, working for a small mom and pop business.

They don't have a company cc. I'm pushing them to get one, for the purpose of rental cars and hotels.

I've spent a little time on rental car websites(not much) and it didn't jump out at me if its possible or how to do it.

Your boss is either mis-informed or not telling it straight.

I too work for a very small company (sometimes only three employees).

I have an "American Express Business" card (gold in color). It has my name on it too, along with the business name. Been using mine for 19 years now. I use it for airlines, rental cars, hotels, and all other business related expenses.

Soooooooo,

Is it safe to assume the way to make this happen is to have a company credit card with my name on it also?

we are not a small mom and pop company - and our policy is to make the travelers use their own cards for business travel. The company will reimburse them via an expense report. I guess the plus side is the company is not worried about any non business related charges the employee might make and the plus to the employee is that they get to keep all the credit card rewards / miles

i would wonder about liability related things on your personal CC. who pays for the wacky unforseen things? are you "personally" responsible if the car is jacked and taken to Indonesia? I have only ever rented a car once so I'm no expert in such things.

I often use my own card and get reimbursed for business expenses. Check out your card's coverage of auto rental insurance as well. I don't see the downside of using your own card, as long as your company reimburses you without delay.

I am required by my employer to use the company card... BUT it only has my name on it.... and the bill comes to my house... so pretty much it is my card... I dislike the situation, but there is no argument.

As for car insurance, the card appears to cover a typical (i forget hoe much) amount of car damage. However, it doesnt cover lost property or liability for personal injury. Thats on you/your insurance. I am aware of one employee who had his car broken into and stuff stolen while on travel for work. Work covered nothing it was on him/his insurance.

but thats the rules, no ways around it, not like you can argue with the owner............

for everything I can (everything except air/train/rental car/hotel) I put it on my personal card to get the cash back. Back in the day you could use your personal card for everything, the big travelers (not me) made some big bucks (not me)....

some companies have good rules, some dont. Sometimes you can fight and win the battle sometimes you cant.... probably not worth leaving over....

seems to me I used to use my own card rather than the company card because the company card didn't have the insurance rider where mine did and I could decline the rental company insurance charge.
Or it was easier.

maverick06 said:
not like you can argue with the owner............

I'm arguing with my boss. And I know he's wrong.

maverick06 said:
.... probably not worth leaving over....

I'm not leaving. Not saying I won't be told to.

My company card is in my name and I had to sign an agreement to that I was responsible for all charges. I have to do an expense report for the company to pay the statement.
If I use the card for unapproved purchases (room service and in room movies not covered) I have to pay them out of my pocket.
My company negotiated a nationwide contract with Enterprise and National to include all insurance in the base rate in exchange for all their business so, eveyone that travels needs to rent from them.
They also required that I join the National Emerald Isle plan for free upgrades which is quick (get off the shuttle ,get right in a car, and drive to the gate). I get a full size vehicle for the mid size price, win win for me and my company.
I get to keep any miles earned for my personal use.

They should get a corporate card provider and cards for each traveler, I think it would be better for them in the long run.

I think their big argument is gonna be the infrequent use, probly not worth the hassle.

Apparently they had a card years ago, when it just had the company name on it and had authorized users.

They were unaware that each person gets a card with his/her own name on it nowadays.

Anyways I at least got them to check into it.

Can a car be rented with a card, but paid in cash upon return?

Status
Not open for further replies.