Rental Pickup Truck to Haul Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
Is there a way to rent a pickup that has 4WD and is more of a utility type rental than something for vacay? I know I could rent a truck from hertz or whatnot but I don’t think it would work out for me if I was loading up big dirty rounds of oak and hauling them out of the woods given the potential for dings and scratches.

Sunbelt, Herk, and United Rentals rent pick ups and dump trailers.

Uhaul trucks have a trailer hitch. If I had to rent a truck, I'd probably tow a trailer so it wasn't damaged. You can safely tow much more than you can put in the bed too.

Unless things have changed, U Haul used to expressly ban wood hauling with their rentals. I knew some mobile service techs who worked for them that on occasion would need to retrieve trucks that had been overloaded. The frames would bend behind the cabs and the box would hit the cab and sometimes bend the cab so the doors would not open. Sitting level the headlights would end up pointing at the trees.

Unless things have changed, U Haul used to expressly ban wood hauling with their rentals. I knew some mobile service techs who worked for them that on occasion would need to retrieve trucks that had been overloaded. The frames would bend behind the cabs and the box would hit the cab and sometimes bend the cab so the doors would not open. Sitting level the headlights would end up pointing at the trees.
I know where there are a few double frame Mack’s and an autocar that suffer from the same ailment… ;lol

The race on what was left of the wheel bearings came out egg shaped!

Now that’s just called the Carolina Squat around here.

IMG_2961.jpeg

When I lived in Florida it was a thing there too. Makes you wonder how those guys even use their trucks as trucks.

To answer the original question…. I would try to rent or borrow a trailer. Like mentioned above, you can haul more in a trailer. And many vehicles will tow a trailer just fine. Even my minivan will tow my little 5x8, loaded with a face cord.