Rented a splitter this long weekend...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First I've seen this thread. Awesome amount of wood really fast. Now you have to find something else to fill you time. I guess dreaming about wood and admiring those stacks should suffice:)

I've never used a hydro. I think I can probably hand split with the best of them but I turned fifty this year and I sometimes find my Northern Tool catalog has some interesting reading in the the hydro splitter section. I'm sure it's just a matter of time!
That catalog is real nice but if you want to save good money, check out the Huskee 22, it gets the job done at the right price.....

First I've seen this thread. Awesome amount of wood really fast. Now you have to find something else to fill you time. I guess dreaming about wood and admiring those stacks should suffice:)

That and Ive still got quite a few unsplit rounds of white oak to go through with the axe !!!

Reactions: blazincajun
Hard to beat the Huskee 22 for price and quality. I modified my log catcher with 1/2" angles welded on the sides to keep logs from falling off. I think I will buy a better stand, and the engine should be on the other side, but those are small concessions for the good price it has. It goes thru all the elm and burr oak I have thrown at it. If all I had was red or pin oak I would probably split by hand. Only have to cycle a few inches with red oak.

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 93
I've never used a hydro. I think I can probably hand split with the best of them but I turned fifty this year and I sometimes find my Northern Tool catalog has some interesting reading in the the hydro splitter section. I'm sure it's just a matter of time!

Don't give in! I'm sixty-two and still splitting by hand. If a flabby old fool like me can do it...

I feel your pain

nice job!

another vote for getting a splitter .. scored 35 ton speeco on sale at TSC for $1,600 on a no tax day.
that was about 5 years ago .. one of the best investments ever.

Nice wall of wood for sure!

Reasons for not loving hydraulic splitting:
Noise.
Breathing exhaust.

Ear protectors do nicely. As for the exhaust, you do the splitting outdoors so there is no need to breath exhaust unless you are placing the engine upwind of you which is rather silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.