Repainting your Wood Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Before you repaint your I-Beam and Wedge should you clean it with paint thinner then paint? Any better ideas on how to repaint the I-Beam and Wedge.

zap

zapny said:
Before you repaint your I-Beam and Wedge should you clean it with paint thinner then paint? Any better ideas on how to repaint the I-Beam and Wedge.

zap

My personal feeling . Repainting your splitter to look like it is new again is probably one of the worse things you can do . Just grease up the I-Beam and Wedge . Your wood will slide a lot better on bare steal than it does on a painted surface the grease will keep it from rusting till the next time you use it . Plus its just going to wear the paint off again anyways .

webie said:
zapny said:

zap

My personal feeling . Repainting your splitter to look like it is new again is probably one of the worse things you can do . Just grease up the I-Beam and Wedge . Your wood will slide a lot better on bare steal than it does on a painted surface the grease will keep it from rusting till the next time you use it . Plus its just going to wear the paint off again anyways .

Not repainting it to look like new just taking care of it.:)

zap

zapny said:
webie said:
zapny said:

zap

Not repainting it to look like new just taking care of it.:)

zap

Best thing to do just grease it up . All good to go next season for splitting . I actually grease mine up completely if It will sit for a week or more so it stays nice and shiney. I dont like rust .

I grease the beam at the end of each day .

Rather than grease, I simply use oil. If you use grease, then more sawdust and crap will stick on things.

After use, I set the beam down to horizontal, spread oil on the beam, run the ram down and then a little more oil behind the ram before going back up. For the wedge, some grease is okay there.

Zap, I've had mine over 20 years and have never painted it. It looks just fine (you can see some pictures in some of my old posts) and works as good as the day it was new.

I wouldn't bother painting . . . a) the paint will wear off the beam and wedge in no time and b) for protection from the elements I would go with a coating of oil . . . Dennis and I tend to have similar views on many things (except for the "correct" way to split wood) and like normal we both tend to shy away from grease and stick with a coating of oil before/after use.

Well Jake, if you'll ever come around to splitting wood the right way......

I wouldn't paint either. But if you do, wire brush it first to remove any/all rust. Then use some sort of degreaser to clean and remove oil and grease. I use brake cleaner( basically tolulene) then maybe wipe down with thinner, then paint. thats how I paint stuff, mostly small auto parts.

I can't remember the name of it now. But they make a spray on graphite in a spray can. I have been getting it from TSC but its also at my Case IH dealer. I have been using it under my mower deck and on my land plows. This sounds like another good use for it.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.