Repair chainsaw??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Some of you might remember from last winter -- I lent a friend my little Husqvarna 142, and he burned out the piston. Accidentally straight gassed it. Its not cost effective to have my local dealer fix it (parts and labor = same as new saw), but I can get the piston and cylinder for about $80 from Baileys. While small engine repair is not my specialty, Im no dummy either, and am pretty sure I can tackle this project. How much of a nightmare is this job?

It's not bad at all. Take your time, keep everything spotless during the surgery. 142 was a Poulan in Husqvarna clothing and very prone to the muffler screws working loose and ruining the threaded holes in the cyl. jug. Also the carb on these required as special tool to adjust the mixture settings. It's in-expensive but you'll have to track one down or convince a Husky/Poulan dealer to sell you one. Husky part # 530 03 55-60

Thanks. Those effin screws did back out all the time!! Really made me crazy.

Need more info on that saw? What cc is it and how old? To throw 80 buck and do the work I would want that saw to be worth at-least 240.00 when I was done.

Jay I'll get you whole bunch of them if you're gonna pony up 240.00 ea. lol They sold for about $199 new roughly 5-6 years ago.

Husqvarna 142

Weight -10.1lbs
Engine Displacment -40.2cc
Bar Lengths -13-15"
Chain Width -3/8
Engine HP -2.2hp

XactLEE said:
I wood find another good used 142 for $80 or less and keep the smoked one for parts. AND don't let Dewfus borrow another saw ever again.

Or sell it for a parts saw.....Just to much effort. If your going to do something like that do it on a pro saw! Thats the way to build a fleet! ;-)

Take note as to wear the piston is bad. If the lower skirt sufferred damage, the crank may be bad too from aluminum in the bearings.

Perhaps it is more trouble than its worth. I still have a $150 gift card from TSC from when I got my splitter last year. Maybe I'll just use that toward a new 235 ($200).

Just one more reason my tools arent loaned out to anyone,not even family.I'll come over soon as I can,do the work & take my tools back home. Would be a good parts saw for Ebay though,get some of the $$$ back.

Are you certain the cylinder need to be replaced?
Read up on arborsite.com on how to recondition a cylinder using muratic acid.

The piston kit(OEM) for my Husky 36 was less than $15.00.

Both my Husky's had cylinders that looked pretty bad but were able to be repaired.
You should be able to find the service manual online.

Status
Not open for further replies.