1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

repair or replace?

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by dyerkutn, Jan 19, 2013.

1. dyerkutn

dyerkutn Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Boston NW suburbs
    I have an old Dutchwest India 224 CCL stove. Last year you all were an incredible help getting my bearing on this thing and helping me when I needed repairs. I love this stove. Never had a stove till I moved to this house and it was already here. The front end of my house heats very poorly from my forced air system so I run it whenever I am home for some length of time (I work a lot and am out some evenings) and as someone mentioned it is a little work horse--though not big enough to heat overnight. I love how funky it is with all the knobs and the doors etc. even thought it looks awful and is kind of a pain to run. Anyway, the center part of the grate ( the non-moving part) has partially caved in. When I cleaned it out this fall I thought there were some old coals and when I banged on it the metal literally crumbled.

So I happened to recently be in the neighborhood of a wood stove store and took a look at some of the beautiful new high efficiency easy to use stoves and there is also now an incentive in Mass. to get a $1000 voucher for an EPA approved stove.

However, I recollect from being on this forum last winter that some people with experience with the older stoves were disappointed when they purchased a newer stove.

So my questions are--is is possible to replace that middle piece of the grate? Does its crumbling indicate that its lif
    e is over? And if so, any advice on replacements would be appreciated knowing that this site is partial to VC.

Please keep in mind that I am TOTALLY not mechanical or a builder so it is either have someone else work on it or buy a new one.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dyerkutn

Loc:
    Boston NW suburbs
    I posted this in classic stoves but maybe this is a better place

I have an old Dutchwest India 224 CCL stove. Last year you all were an incredible help getting my bearing on this thing and helping me when I needed repairs. I love this stove. Never had a stove till I moved to this house and it was already here. The front end of my house heats very poorly from my forced air system so I run it whenever I am home for some length of time (I work a lot and am out some evenings) and as someone mentioned, it is a little work horse--though not big enough to heat overnight. I love how funky it is with all the knobs and the doors etc. even though it looks awful and is kind of a pain to run. Anyway, the center part of the grate ( the non-moving part) has partially caved in. When I cleaned it out this fall I thought there were some old coals and when I banged on it the metal literally crumbled.

So I happened to recently be in the neighborhood of a wood stove store and took a look at some of the beautiful new high efficiency easy to use stoves and there is also now an incentive in Mass. to get a $1000 voucher for an EPA approved stove.

However, I recollect from being on this forum last winter that some people with experience with the older stoves were disappointed when they purchased a newer stove.

So my questions are--is is possible to replace that middle piece of the grate? Does its crumbling indicate that its life is over? And if so, any advice on replacements would be appreciated knowing that this site is partial to VC.

Please keep in mind that I am TOTALLY not mechanical or a builder so it is either have someone else work on it or buy a new one.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    If the grate is warped & crumbling, you can't save it. If there's a replacement grate available, I wouldn't think that it cost a lot. Replacement may be another story. A LOT of the VC stoves had grates that simply lifted out & replacement was a non-issue. Not sure about yours. As far as a replacement non-cat stove goes, you will have to properly size it to your needs & re-learn your burning techniques. Once you do, you'll enjoy the heat just...
  4. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    224 CCL grate parts are still listed in my hard cover Woodman's catalog.
    (Stove made from 1988 to 89)

Grate parts are listed as;
    Grate 700-0365
    Back - 700-0551
    Cover- 700-0726
    Fixed- 0342 (I think what you need ?) $25.18 (may be old price)
    Front- 700-0550
    Rocker- 700-1084
    Side Grate left- 700-0346
    right- 700-0344

They also list Ash Pan, Baffle, By-Pass Grate, Cat. Combustor, Glass, Screen and Shaker Tool as available.

woodmanspartsplus.com
  5. dyerkutn

Loc:
    Boston NW suburbs
    Oh right--I forgot about that place. Thanks. I will check into it.
  6. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I believe the grates are no longer available for the old DW's. Your local dealer might have some laying around. Give the local dealer a call.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  8. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
  9. dyerkutn

Loc:
    Boston NW suburbs