repair or replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dyerkutn

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2011
Boston NW suburbs
I have an old Dutchwest India 224 CCL stove. Last year you all were an incredible help getting my bearing on this thing and helping me when I needed repairs. I love this stove. Never had a stove till I moved to this house and it was already here. The front end of my house heats very poorly from my forced air system so I run it whenever I am home for some length of time (I work a lot and am out some evenings) and as someone mentioned it is a little work horse--though not big enough to heat overnight. I love how funky it is with all the knobs and the doors etc. even thought it looks awful and is kind of a pain to run. Anyway, the center part of the grate ( the non-moving part) has partially caved in. When I cleaned it out this fall I thought there were some old coals and when I banged on it the metal literally crumbled.

So I happened to recently be in the neighborhood of a wood stove store and took a look at some of the beautiful new high efficiency easy to use stoves and there is also now an incentive in Mass. to get a $1000 voucher for an EPA approved stove.

However, I recollect from being on this forum last winter that some people with experience with the older stoves were disappointed when they purchased a newer stove.

So my questions are--is is possible to replace that middle piece of the grate? Does its crumbling indicate that its lif
e is over? And if so, any advice on replacements would be appreciated knowing that this site is partial to VC.

Please keep in mind that I am TOTALLY not mechanical or a builder so it is either have someone else work on it or buy a new one.

I posted this in classic stoves but maybe this is a better place

I have an old Dutchwest India 224 CCL stove. Last year you all were an incredible help getting my bearing on this thing and helping me when I needed repairs. I love this stove. Never had a stove till I moved to this house and it was already here. The front end of my house heats very poorly from my forced air system so I run it whenever I am home for some length of time (I work a lot and am out some evenings) and as someone mentioned, it is a little work horse--though not big enough to heat overnight. I love how funky it is with all the knobs and the doors etc. even though it looks awful and is kind of a pain to run. Anyway, the center part of the grate ( the non-moving part) has partially caved in. When I cleaned it out this fall I thought there were some old coals and when I banged on it the metal literally crumbled.

So I happened to recently be in the neighborhood of a wood stove store and took a look at some of the beautiful new high efficiency easy to use stoves and there is also now an incentive in Mass. to get a $1000 voucher for an EPA approved stove.

However, I recollect from being on this forum last winter that some people with experience with the older stoves were disappointed when they purchased a newer stove.

So my questions are--is is possible to replace that middle piece of the grate? Does its crumbling indicate that its life is over? And if so, any advice on replacements would be appreciated knowing that this site is partial to VC.

Please keep in mind that I am TOTALLY not mechanical or a builder so it is either have someone else work on it or buy a new one.

If the grate is warped & crumbling, you can't save it. If there's a replacement grate available, I wouldn't think that it cost a lot. Replacement may be another story. A LOT of the VC stoves had grates that simply lifted out & replacement was a non-issue. Not sure about yours. As far as a replacement non-cat stove goes, you will have to properly size it to your needs & re-learn your burning techniques. Once you do, you'll enjoy the heat just...

224 CCL grate parts are still listed in my hard cover Woodman's catalog.
(Stove made from 1988 to 89)

Grate parts are listed as;
Grate 700-0365
Back - 700-0551
Cover- 700-0726
Fixed- 0342 (I think what you need ?) $25.18 (may be old price)
Front- 700-0550
Rocker- 700-1084
Side Grate left- 700-0346
right- 700-0344

They also list Ash Pan, Baffle, By-Pass Grate, Cat. Combustor, Glass, Screen and Shaker Tool as available.

woodmanspartsplus.com

224 CCL grate parts are still listed in my hard cover Woodman's catalog.
(Stove made from 1988 to 89)

Grate parts are listed as;
Grate 700-0365
Back - 700-0551
Cover- 700-0726
Fixed- 0342 (I think what you need ?) $25.18 (may be old price)
Front- 700-0550
Rocker- 700-1084
Side Grate left- 700-0346
right- 700-0344

They also list Ash Pan, Baffle, By-Pass Grate, Cat. Combustor, Glass, Screen and Shaker Tool as available.

woodmanspartsplus.com
Oh right--I forgot about that place. Thanks. I will check into it.

I believe the grates are no longer available for the old DW's. Your local dealer might have some laying around. Give the local dealer a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.