Repairing a few cracked bricks in my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
I have a question about repairing cracked bricks in a chimney. If pictures would help I can take some and post them. My chimney has three flues, the middle on being my wood stove. The side of my chimney, that my oil burner exhausts out of has a 2 cracks in the bricks, about half way up the chimney seemingly from settling (it's 12 years old now) and the cracks are about 1/8" to 1/4" thick. I'm confident that the cracks aren't from a chimney fire and that flu has my oil burner on it and all the flues look good, no cracked or missing tiles, etc. I checked the stuff out at Home depot and it looks like they have a type of caulk like stuff you can seal the cracks with. has anyone used the stuff....and does it come in "brick" color? I just saw black. Is there a better way to repair the cracks? Again, I can take some pictures if that helps with a recommendation. Are cracked bricks common in chimneys? I've never noticed until this summer when I was looking over mine.

Pics would definatly help it may not be a big deal and some clear silicone may take care of it. But the right way to fix it is cut out the cracked brick and replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.