Repairing a fireback (Firebrick)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
The fireback in our stoves is subject to erossion during long term burns.

The material is soft and will break easily.

The cost of a new set of firebacks is not cheap but there is a easy cheap fix.

"FURNACE Cement" This stuff is available at many hardware stores and comes on pints or quarts

To repair a erroded fireback, remove and clean with a soft brush to remove the ash.

Lightly sand the erroded area with coarse sand paper.

Using a putty knife, spread the furnace cement over the erroded area starting in the areas that are the deepest.

It helps to mask the area off with masking tape to keep the repair looking neat.

Lay the fireback flat to do the job.

Apply a small amount and let harden, then another coat and bring the areas up so the original depth is restored. You can use a suitable tool and make the grooves in the surface if you desire.

The fire cement isd rated for the high temps in furnaces and refractories.

A small can of this stuff sells for less than $5.

I have repaired several firebacks this way and the fix works well.

It is black in color so the natural color is not the same but the idea is to protect the back wall of the firebox.

Just a little tidbit

Snowy

Hey wad ya know some else actually uses true blue furnace cement aka retort cement.

That is the best thing going for use inside a firebox, good to at least 2000°F.

Worked really good when I got a 1910 Glenwood furnace back into burnable shape.

Too bad that I never managed to locate a shaker grate wrench.

Oh well years ago, and and after tons of fuel that puppy got replaced with a dino burner.

The house just wasn't the same after that.

I will take some piccy's the next time I clean the little Prodigy.

Right now its busy munching on some "Nuts" and the glass is a tad smokey.

If I open the door to snap a pix the house is gonna stink.

I only paid $200 for the whole stove with the floor pad, so I was not real hot on buying new firebacking for nearly that or more.

The trick to getting a good job is to do it in layers and then letting it cure between coats of 1/4" or so.

Stuff does not stink so ya can do it indoors.

Will get pics soon.

Snowy

One can also attach a piece of stainless steel sheet metal to the area that burns out.

This can be done after the repair with the fire cement is all done.

There are several ways to add longevity to these firebacks.

The manufactures are looking to offer a nice pleasant or real brick look to their stove as well as make the things safe.

Now I personally keep safety as the number one criteria on the list.
Asthetics is down the list a ways with me.

Safety
Durability
Dependability
Now as far as the rest goes, stoves are a little painted BOX in the corner that make some noise and keep my BUTT warm in the winter.

Come spring/summer they get cleaned and left sit until next season.

I must say that our pellets stoves have needed the least maintenance of any of the appliances in the place.

The Old Earth Stove has been great. Have had to replace the low temp sensor is all and thats in 15 years of running 24-7 in the winter.

Can't complain about that one bit

My only complaint of the old stove is that its a Positive pressure stove and is a PITA to clean.
Being a positive pressure stove it does tend to emmit small ash/dust around the door seals and latch shaft seal area.

This is noticeable as a fine layer of gray dust on the furniture. Much more prevalent in the winter.

We dont use the air handler (HVAC system) in the winter so there is no filtration.

Still no pix of the repair, stove due to be cleaned tomorrow. I will see if I can get pix.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.