Replace Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I've done this before, but maybe not right... so I ask for any helpful tips/rules.

I plan to replace the door gasket on a free standing stove. I purchased the gasket form Lowes and it came with some high temp adhesive. I will read the instructions that came with the "kit".

For now I plan to simply remove the old gasket, clean the door, particularly the "track" that the gasket lays in. Should I use steel wool or any abrasive, or just "dust" the track out?

I then will apply a light "bead" of adhesive and lay the new gasket in place, not operating until in agreement with the instructions which must require some cure time for the adhesive.

That's my thinking, and as always I'd appreciate any corrections/tips.

Thanks

When I did mine, I just used a straight screwdriver to scrape any loose debris from the track and knock loose the larger chunks of the previous adhesive. Anything loose should be removed, but you don't particularly need shiny metal so just a general scraping should do. No need to polish with steel wool.

Same.I just changed all of the gaskets on my old CDW and it was relatively easy to do. took me about half our to change all of them on mine. Good luck.

Thanks, I did go so far (not real cold here yet) as to read the instructions that came with the gasket (rope). I says just "clean" then apply a light coat of the high temperature cement, let it dry for about 15 minutes, then press the gasket into the track. Here's something I didn't think about, it goes on to say put news paper around the door edges and close it - let it set for at least two hours compressed (door closed) against the news paper.

We also plan to replace the window glass gasket. That gasket, has a sticky side to hold it in place when the glass is being lowered in and Screwed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.