Replace dv gas stove with wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
Guys (& Gals),

Looking at a potential home to purchase down here in SW Ohio (moving from NEOhio) - great house, but has a direct vent gas stove with no real chimney.

I've attached a pic of the back of the house. Is it possible to remove gas stove and run pipe through the bump out? Seems it would have to be a long run of pipe if it has to be above highest point of roof (I know I've seen a diagram that details this situation in a Duravent catalogue). Would it be better build out the hearth and run the bulk of the stove pipe length on the interior of the home? The ceiling in this room in the house is vaulted.

Thanks for any input,

Tim

Attachments

• Morrow house 2.jpg
    Morrow house 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 145
Does the gas stove currently work? I think if I were looking at that house, I would possibly leave the gas stove alone and look for another location in the home to install a wood stove. I have a gas fireplace in one side of my home which was installed to offset the high cost of running the oil furnace. The wood stove was later installed in another room which gets run to offset the cost of propane since most if not all my wood I cut for free if that makes sense. The nice thing is if I'm not home for some reason to load and burn the wood stove, my wife can still fire up the gas fireplace or oil furnace and have heat since she doesn't really deal with the firewood situation. I like to have backup in place just in case. I guess my thought would be you could leave the current gas stove alone and install your stove elsewhere in the home if it's possible. Just an idea

Good advice. If the stove is a decent one and a good heater it might be a good idea to keep it.

Beautiful deck!

Yeah if there is a good DV gas stove in there I would leave it where it is. Doing what you ask about depends on a whole lot of things with what is in that bump out and what hearth is in the place.

If it works, and it's safe to operate...why get rid of it? If you really want a woodburner, you can put one somewhere else. In some ways, this will be easier & cheaper, and you'll have another back-up. Tell us all about the house, post a simple floor plan, and we'll be all over it like flies on poop with great ideas. Rick

I'm in the same exact situation (almost) as you. I have a track home Heat n Glo DV gas fireplace which is in a balloon framed part of the house.

The fireplace is for ambiance and not heat in my situation. I did the math last year with natural gas price and it can out to around .33 cents an hour to run it to get any usable heat (on high).

I've decided to remove it and put in a free standing wood stove (with some other changes to the area). My location on the house is a little different than yours as its higher up on the eve and runs along the side of the house and not the bottom of the roofline.

I'm still going to have to install 74" of chimney pipe above the roof to meet code. It's a 5/12 roof.

I thought about alternate locations, but the house is centered around family room/great room which has vaulted ceiling. I think it would look silly to have a stove and fireplace in same room and it would also take up too much real estate. Pic attached. You can see how this location screams Hearthstone (at least it does to me). I had a dv gas fireplace before and didn't miss it. House after that one I installed a PE insert and Napolean 1150P and refuse to look back. Wood heat all the way!!!! I also like the location at the back of the house for access to firewood supply.

Thanks again for thoughts/input. It's fun to even think about as we've been stuck in apartment for 9 months after moving. Depressing going into burn season stoveless.

Attachments

• Morrow house 3.jpg
    Morrow house 3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 321
That is going to take a lot of pipe. You don't have to necessarily be above the peak, but you have to comply with the 10-3-2 rule. Which is still going to take a lot of pipe.

Are you basing your home purchase on the ability to heat with wood? :p It's a pretty important factor to me, and the first thing on my mind at the houses we've looked at. The good thing, though, is my wife gets it. It's important to her, too.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I agree with the other posters here. Where your gas fireplace is is not the ideal place for a wood stove. Better to situate the stove where the chimney can go straight up and exit the roof close to the peak. This will reduce the cost of your chimney and make the installation much more simple and practical, and perhaps make it easier to clean the chimney later.
The room looks nice and open, I think right where that black cabinet is looks like a good place for a hearth and stove.
morrow-house-3-jpg.140893

Status
Not open for further replies.