Q&A Replace glass in fireplace doors for more heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

The glass i have on my fireplace is tempered glass, i can only touch the outside of the glass for 2 seconds it gets very hot.
I was looking at the neoceram rated for 1400, plus the ceramic is suppose to radiate the heat out, ceramic glass is suppose to let lots of heat come through unlike the tampered glass which lets no heat out.

Should I replace my glass with this ceramic glass?

Answer:

I don't think replacing the glass will make much difference in the actual surface temperature of the glass, nor the amount of heat released into the room. The main difference is that the neoceram and related ceramic glass can take a higher temperature and more abuse (hitting with logs, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.