Replace Lopi Answer-small fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostongal

Feb 3, 2016
Boston
Hi All!
First post. Many thanks for all the information I have gained by lurking here over the past 4 years when I bought my 2000 sq ft ranch with a Lopi Answer in the first floor living room. I didn't know the first thing about wood stoves and now burn about a cord a year each winter.

I am considering replacing the 26 year old Answer as I am doing some work on the fireplace-stainless liner and refacing the orange brick and new hearth. The Answer is great and reliable, but I have always wished that the wood stove was a bit bigger. I'm limited to 16" logs and the firebox is so low that fat logs can't fit. When it is cranking and cold cold outside, I often want more heat, but steer clear of continuing to feed the stove as there is a gauge on the side telling me that it is already close to "too hot" (about 500 degrees). I'd also love a nicer looking unit if it was possible, but that's not the driving force. Additionally, the unit is 21" wide and there is about 10" on either side of the fireplace opening that I think looks odd.

My 2000 sq feet is spread out, so I'm probably really heating less than that as the 3 bedrooms are far from the living room, kitchen, office, and dining room. I use other heat in those rooms. The Answer is rear vented. I liked the idea of the Hearthstone Homestead, but I think the mantle is too close. I think that the fireplace will be limiting in general.

Here are the dimensions:

Hearth: 17" deep x 65" wide (this can be made deeper)
Fireplace opening: 41" wide x 29" high x 23" deep
The fireplace surround is 61" wide
The combustible mantle is 12"
The fireplace tapers back to 32".
The center of the flue opening in the coverplate is about 3" off the back wall

Any suggestions are welcome as without some information, I think I could easily end up being sold something that I wouldn't be happy with and this unit isn't bad by any means.

Nancy

Welcome. That sounds like a stove pipe gauge. The scales are for stove pipe ranges and not for the stove top or side. Stove top temperature gauges don't have those ranges on them. You could take the stove up to 600-650F without issue.

It sounds like you have quite a bit of room to play with. I would start by looking at the Enviro Kodiak and their Venice or Boston 1700 inserts. The Boston and Venice are the Kodiak box with a fancier cast iron surround.

First, that Enviro Boston 1200 looks great, but....

Well, now I feel really stupid! I thought that temperature gauge was a part of the stove and I was scared to disobey it! I've since moved it behind the stove on the pipe , but it is only 6" above the top of the stove. I've heard many comments here about placing it at eye level-which isn't possible as the stove pipe is in the chimney. What temperature do you think I can allow it to get to at that height?

I put the gauge on a cast iron pan and put it in a 500 degree oven. It appears that the gauge is about 100 degrees too high.

Maybe I don't need to replace the Answer as it seems that I could have been cranking this stove more!

I have a few more questions:

1. One problem is that when it has gotten up near 650 (which is probably around 550), it smells.

2. My stove was made in 1988. I don't know when it was installed, but assume within a few years of that date. The previous owners probably used it less than I do-which is daily in winter. Is it reasonable to continue safely using this 28 year old stove. I want to feel confident leaving it on while we are out. The tubes and bricks look solid. I have a bit of trouble with the damper as it seems to go from fully open to fully closed-takes alot of fiddling to slow the burn. I can't seem to figure out how to get in there to check it out.

3. There is some sort of insulation above the upper bricks that is falling apart. Does anyone know if this needs to be replaced? It is white and I'm hoping it isn't asbestos.

Nancy

No problem, those stove pipe thermometers confuse many people. 6" may too close, it could be affected by the stove top temperature. Normally the directions are to not have it closer than 12", but you can try it there for awhile. Maybe the convection deck will shield some of the heat. Let us know what temps you are seeing with it at that location. Normal running temps should stay out of the Overfire range or about 250-350F surface temperature.

The thermometer is fine to use on the stove top. Just ignore the painted-on scales and watch the actual temperature instead. Try placing it on the stove top as far back as possible without obscuring it.

If you go with an Enviro you will want the Enviro Boston 1700, the Boston 1200 is about the same size as the Answer.

The white insulation is probably kaowool which is a ceramic wool insulation, no asbestos. It doesn't wear out.

Status
Not open for further replies.