Replace top clay tile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeP

Mar 15, 2006
Northern NY
Putting my newly purchased nc-30 in our basement.... (I know, I know... but that's where its going). It will be hooked into the existing, centrally located, brick around 8x12 clay tiled chimney. Which I'm going to be relining with simpson oval duraliner. While inspecting the chimney for overall condition, I noticed some of the top bricks were loose, and the top of the last tile was crumbling, and loose. So I had to remove 5 rows of brick, and also pulled out the top tile.

My question is, before I re-lay the bricks, is there any good reason to replace top clay tile with a new one?

Just to note, this part of the chimney is above the roof line, and the duraliner is a 0"/0" clearance chimney liner.

From the description, it doesn't sound like the last section of the clay tile would be needed. Still, the tile is not a big expense and will add to the rigidity of the structure so I would probably replace it with a new one.

If you don't put the tile in, a good reason is sure to pop up as soon as you've finished the brick work.

Why would you not replace the tile when it is down already. :coolsmirk:

BeGreen said:
From the description, it doesn't sound like the last section of the clay tile would be needed. Still, the tile is not a big expense and will add to the rigidity of the structure so I would probably replace it with a new one.

Sound like a good enough reason, I'll get a new tile to put back in.

I agree - not a big expense and certainly not a big project for you if you are planning to lay up 5 courses at the top of your chimney. Plus, having the tile up there will make it easy to fit a top plate when you install the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.