Replaced door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
No big deal but...the reason I replaced it was that the ends where it had been cut to fit originally were frayed and letting lots of air in meaning I had to watch it like a hawk and it burned through a load very fast. I used gorilla tape to keep the end from fraying when I cut it but I'm sure that will burn off during the first fire (tonight). Should I be wrapping it in some sort of high temp tape? If so, any recommendations?

Just normal. Usually, I just schmear a lil gasket cement in that spot where the two ends join, and do my best to bury those ends in it, being careful not to get any on the stove mating surface of the gasket (don't want it to stick to the stove when closed).

pen

when u put that cement on the rope ends put news paper between rope and sytove face and u don't have to worry about sticking to stove while drying. read that from someone on here last week.

Reactions: pen
Thanks, burned last night and the thing works like a champ again. To my surprise the gorilla tape actually survived. We shall see how long that lasts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.