1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Replaced door gasket

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by onion, Nov 12, 2012.

1. onion

onion Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ohio
    No big deal but...the reason I replaced it was that the ends where it had been cut to fit originally were frayed and letting lots of air in meaning I had to watch it like a hawk and it burned through a load very fast. I used gorilla tape to keep the end from fraying when I cut it but I'm sure that will burn off during the first fire (tonight). Should I be wrapping it in some sort of high temp tape? If so, any recommendations?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Just normal. Usually, I just schmear a lil gasket cement in that spot where the two ends join, and do my best to bury those ends in it, being careful not to get any on the stove mating surface of the gasket (don't want it to stick to the stove when closed).

pen
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    when u put that cement on the rope ends put news paper between rope and sytove face and u don't have to worry about sticking to stove while drying. read that from someone on here last week.
    pen likes this.
  4. onion

onion Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks, burned last night and the thing works like a champ again. To my surprise the gorilla tape actually survived. We shall see how long that lasts :)