Replaced door gasketing...now it won't lock closed and leaks smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Our door gasketing was pretty well shot. After scraping away the old cement, I bought new gasketing and cemented it on. Looked fine when I put the doors back on but when I tried to lock them closed it wasn't closing. It looks like the part near the top by the locking lever and where the doors overlap has too much gasketing. But I know where the cement was. Not sure if this stuff just needs to be compressed or if it's done wrong.

I tried burning a papertowel just to test for leaks and we definitely smelled smoke. So while I threw some weight into it and the doors are closed (just not fully locked in place)...there's definitely not a good seal from what I can tell.

Thoughts on how to address the issue?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Our door gasketing was pretty well shot. After scraping away the old cement, I bought new gasketing and cemented it on. Looked fine when I put the doors back on but when I tried to lock them closed it wasn't closing. It looks like the part near the top by the locking lever and where the doors overlap has too much gasketing. But I know where the cement was. Not sure if this stuff just needs to be compressed or if it's done wrong.

I tried burning a papertowel just to test for leaks and we definitely smelled smoke. So while I threw some weight into it and the doors are closed (just not fully locked in place)...there's definitely not a good seal from what I can tell.

Thoughts on how to address the issue?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Is the gasket the right thickness?

Yes. The guy at the stove shop would put most here to shame (in regard to him eating/sleeping/breathing stoves) and he selected/measured it for me.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Well it can only be so many things. Wrong gasket size. Too much cement. Door adjusted wrong, if yours are adjustable. Warped door or hinges.

Well it can only be so many things. Wrong gasket size. Too much cement. Door adjusted wrong, if yours are adjustable. Warped door or hinges.

I think it has to do with the gasketing being overlapped. In other words the two doors are coming together and there's double gasketing somewhere. Just not sure how to find where it's happening without seeing someone else's of the same model.

-Emt1581

Usually after you replace a gasket, you have to put the door back on the stove, and leave it closed for a day to get things settling correctly. The last time I replaced the gasket on the PE, the door was hard to close, but after letting it set & shape, I was good to go.

Just a thought.

Yes. The guy at the stove shop would put most here to shame (in regard to him eating/sleeping/breathing stoves) and he selected/measured it for me.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Take the door(s) to your stove shop guru and have him replace them. Then you wouldn't have the shame of asking for advice here. ;lol

Reactions: Wisneaky
I think it has to do with the gasketing being overlapped.
Yes if the gasket is overlapped that is the issue it should be cut so the ends but tight to eachother

A few thoughts

#1 You really need to take the gasket channels down to bare metal.. I chuck the chisel and go straight to a dremel, much quicker and more effective.

#2 On the Encores (unless they made a major design change in the 2n-1 they are all similar) the gasket wraps completely around the left side door, but on the right side door the gasket only goes around the top bottom and outside edge. For hte joint in the center the left side door gasket makes the seal.

#3 Proper gasket size for the doors is 5/16.. It comes in various densities, you want the lower density stuff.

#4 Actual stove gasket cement (like Meeco Red Devil or similar) works better than furnace cement. Its a bit thinner in consistency. Use just enough to get a good bond, dont flood the channel.

See
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/encore-2550-rebuild-start-to-finish.112149/page-4 (start at post #94)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/encore-2550-rebuild-start-to-finish.112149/page-5 (start at post #105)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/encore-2550-rebuild-start-to-finish.112149/page-7 (post #156 shows the gasket detail specifically around the latch)

Reactions: Wisneaky
Usually after you replace a gasket, you have to put the door back on the stove, and leave it closed for a day to get things settling correctly. The last time I replaced the gasket on the PE, the door was hard to close, but after letting it set & shape, I was good to go.

Just a thought.

This seems to have been great advice. After the door was on a few hours, I just tried cranking the handle a bit more and it worked. It's not all the way locked yet but probably by tonight it will be.

For those saying to take it to the store...that's actually a good idea. Just to double check my work I think I'll take the doors there next weekend.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I just tried cranking the handle a bit more and it worked.
Forcing the handle is not a great idea. Did you say you overlapped the gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.