1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Replaced the Door Gasket

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Shawn, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Shawn

Shawn Member

Hi,

I just replaced the door gasket in my Lopi Freedom Bay. How long do I need to wait before having a fire? Directions on the adhesive just say stove should be fired within 30 days.

Thanks.
    Shawn

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    24 hours is what I've read.
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I've got a tube of Rutland Hi-Temp Stove and Gasket Cement right here; Says 'allow to dry for 1 hr. then fire for final cure.'
    PapaDave likes this.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    The idea is to have it dry and set before you fire, typically a few hours. I usually wait 2+ hours, and have had no issues.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We usually wait 4 hours before building a very small fire. Let that cool a bit then fire it right up.
  6. HaTaX

HaTaX New Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    I let mine sit overnight and then had a small fire with top temps pretty darn low and the blower on high, after that I went for a 500F temp on top with the blower at a lower speed, and finally a 650F temp with the blower off, each time the stove was cooled to under 200F before re-lighting. There was some furnace cement I wanted to cure at the same time so I kinda went OCD on it...

I think their general instruction is that it gets at least 1 low temp cycle before being baked at 500F+, it's not something that needs to be perfect to get a good cure out of it.