Replaced the Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Oct 13, 2006
Hi,

I just replaced the door gasket in my Lopi Freedom Bay. How long do I need to wait before having a fire? Directions on the adhesive just say stove should be fired within 30 days.

Thanks.
Shawn

24 hours is what I've read.

I've got a tube of Rutland Hi-Temp Stove and Gasket Cement right here; Says 'allow to dry for 1 hr. then fire for final cure.'

Reactions: PapaDave
The idea is to have it dry and set before you fire, typically a few hours. I usually wait 2+ hours, and have had no issues.

We usually wait 4 hours before building a very small fire. Let that cool a bit then fire it right up.

I let mine sit overnight and then had a small fire with top temps pretty darn low and the blower on high, after that I went for a 500F temp on top with the blower at a lower speed, and finally a 650F temp with the blower off, each time the stove was cooled to under 200F before re-lighting. There was some furnace cement I wanted to cure at the same time so I kinda went OCD on it...

I think their general instruction is that it gets at least 1 low temp cycle before being baked at 500F+, it's not something that needs to be perfect to get a good cure out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.