replacement 8 oz ball peen hammer handles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 8oz ball pein/ peen ? hammer's handle broke.
Where would I get one?
The big box stores have the 12oz ... ohhh were to look? :oops:

Hardware store...might be able to get a replacement handle there or maybe a whole new hammer if they don't have handles

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ace and Truevalue Hardware stores still carry Hickory handles as well as some others. I prefer wooden ones as too much vibration is transmitted up those man made ones for my liking.

I've been making my own tool handles out of firewood lately. It takes enough time that you might question whether I might be better off coughing up the $9 or whatever, but I find it satisfying. Since I can make a new one whenever the old one breaks, I don't worry about using only ideal species or even spending a long time seeking a perfectly straight-grained bit of wood. I use pine or oak or whatever comes to hand; pleased with the results so far.

I usually use a sharp old Keen Kutter hatchet for a froe, a chunk of split wood for a mallet, and a hand rasp and a belt sander for fine shaping. A square of fine sandpaper, a rag, and some linseed oil for finishing.

I had always understood that pine and oak were not suitable for tool handles, but that has turned out to be less true than I had heard!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon1270
Don't know about others but we used to soak new hickory handles in fuel oil for about 3-6 months before using. Head installed. fibers swell up and heads almost never come loose. Wood handles from the store are too dry as is now days, the soaking gives the handle some flex back and as such absorbs much more punishment.

Never found it to be a problem after a bit. Maybe a very thin grade of mineral oil similar in body to fuel oil? Vegetable oil? Course that might lead to various furry critters munching on it.

My skin does not like petrol products at all. I did not realize it till I got older, that dry cracked skin is the results of exposure to petrol products. Glad it works for you.

ball%20peen%20Hammer%20handles_zpsqnkpyzvt.jpg
Handles are on I'll let them soak in boiled linseed oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.