replacement circulator cartridge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sorethumbs

Feb 12, 2009
NW Wisconsin
I have a Taco 007 with a blown cartrige. I'd like to get a replacement for it. I've been looking at various on-line stores and I can't believe what I'm finding for prices, shocking. I can actually buy a completly brand new 007 circulator at the local big box store for just a little more $$ than what the cartrige costs. What's the deal? Can anyone direct me to a source for a replacement cartrige. I can't believe that the cast iron housings are considered disposible.

sorethumbs said:
I have a Taco 007 with a blown cartrige. I'd like to get a replacement for it. I've been looking at various on-line stores and I can't believe what I'm finding for prices, shocking. I can actually buy a completly brand new 007 circulator at the local big box store for just a little more $$ than what the cartrige costs. What's the deal? Can anyone direct me to a source for a replacement cartrige. I can't believe that the cast iron housings are considered disposible.

I suspect that it's a volume vs. price thing. If you're going to make a buch of cartridges and housings, and 95% of people want them together as a whole circulator, then it may not be cost effective to carry the lower volume cartridge by itself. There's not much cost in the casting compared to the cartridge, so I'm not at all surprised ther'e not much price difference after looking at the difference in volume.

I generally like to support USA based/ made products, but when it comes to circulators, the Taco cartridge models are dinosaurs. The Grundfos are seemingly made in the USA, even if the company is not HQ'd here, and they seem to be a better design and have better quality control. My own system has 3-speed Wilo Star circs. Wilo is based in Germany and made in France, that look like precision-designed/ precision-made items compared to Tacos- at about the same price. The Wilo impeller looks like a careful design, not a rough guess... and all of the innards gleam with precision design and execution. [ and I am not bashing Taco- I used their TwinTees and their zone relay ]

Wilo does not supply cartridges, and I asked them about it- basically, they said the same thing NoFo said above. At some point I'll pick up a single spare circulator, so that I have the option of swapping a motor and rotor while leaving the housing/ volute in place.

The pump that failed was about 4 years old. It was being used on an OWB open system (CB) and is mounted properly. It is used about 6 months of the year. I was not "exercising" the pump during the summer. I'm going to try to do that with the new one.

I have the old one. I'd like to use it in a radiant heating loop. I was just going to buy a cartridge. I still can't belive that the housing and capacitor are scrap, what a crock!

PS I have a DOA grundfos too! I don't know the story on that one. I found it in my house after I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.