Replacement door gasket from Woodstove-fireplaceglass.com: Is it the real deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

morningwood187

Nov 22, 2023
Oregon
I recently purchased a replacement door gasket for my 2012 Princess Ultra. I was hoping to get an authentic Blaze King gasket based on comments posted here by @BKVP on how it is indeed special.
I found that this website lists the gasket with the SKU: 0186A-6FT

I received it, expecting it to be in a package. It's just bulk gasket in a box. I e-mailed them asking for clarification:

Hello,
I see you have a Blaze King door gasket listed on your site. Is this the official blaze king rope gasket kit or a bulk cut from a roll? Thank you very much!
I received the following response:
It is cut from a bulk roll - same stuff.....Blaze king does not make it.

I'm not 100% convinced. Has anyone else bought from these guys and know if it's the real deal? I suppose I'll try using it. Attempting to get a local BK dealer to order the official gasket has been... challenging. They all want to sell me bulk gasket.

I recently purchased a replacement door gasket for my 2012 Princess Ultra. I was hoping to get an authentic Blaze King gasket based on comments posted here by @BKVP on how it is indeed special.
I found that this website lists the gasket with the SKU: 0186A-6FT

I received it, expecting it to be in a package. It's just bulk gasket in a box. I e-mailed them asking for clarification:

I received the following response:

I'm not 100% convinced. Has anyone else bought from these guys and know if it's the real deal? I suppose I'll try using it. Attempting to get a local BK dealer to order the official gasket has been... challenging. They all want to sell me bulk gasket.
If you have a couple of extra inches of the gasket, cut it and send it to me and I can tell you if it is the same.

Blaze King Industries, Inc
146 A Street
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Attn: BKVP

Thank you for the offer! I suspect I will have a decent amount of extra, I will send it to you for "analysis"

Reactions: BKVP
It's good to check and kind of BKVP to verify. I ran into the same thing will a well established PE dealer. They only sold the bulk roll stuff and it definitely was not OEM nor did it work as well.

I've struggled with my local BK dealer to get authentic BK gaskets as well. The door and window gaskets I eventually received were just in a Ziploc bag, and looked pretty similar to generic gaskets, so I'm not sure if I just paid a premium for whatever they had on the shelf or if they actually ordered it from BK.

I've struggled with my local BK dealer to get authentic BK gaskets as well. The door and window gaskets I eventually received were just in a Ziploc bag, and looked pretty similar to generic gaskets, so I'm not sure if I just paid a premium for whatever they had on the shelf or if they actually ordered it from BK.
Secret tip. Just ask the dealer to have the order drop shipped to your home. That means it leaves here, in a zip lock bag but the package shows it came from our facility.

BKVP

Secret tip. Just ask the dealer to have the order drop shipped to your home. That means it leaves here, in a zip lock bag but the package shows it came from our facility.

BKVP
I’ve done this and it worked great. Dealer had no problem with it. Probably faster than BK shipping to dealer and then dealer shipping to you or you going to pick it up.

BKVP
Good to know, thanks for the tip.

Update: I just got around to installing this gasket that I purchased.. Right away is it apparent that this is not the same product that Blaze King uses and likely won't work well with any Blaze King stove.
It is far more malleable than any of the old gasket which came out -- even accounting for age, and as a result when trimmed to length it essentially gets swallowed up by the door channel and does not create a good knife edge seal on the gasket. In fact, with the door adjustment all the way in there is more than a quarter inch of volume missing.,

The actual Blaze King gasket is far more rigid and stiff , likely some kind of high / medium density gasket. This gasket you can nearly pinch all of the way through, seems more like a off the shelf Rutland gasket than anything else. I'll be calling around to my local dealers that sell Blaze King stoves trying to get one to drop ship as @BKVP suggested.