Replacement doors for old stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiest

Jan 31, 2007
My father in law commented that he would like to have a stove that he can "see the fire". He burns an old stove (kodiak I think) just like the picture below. Does anyone know if there are any replacement doors for this stove? Anyone know of a manufacturer and their website? I would love to get him some glass doors for it. I dont know if kodiak is the brand of the model.

Attachments

• 1156966327946.450x270.Auto.jpg
    1156966327946.450x270.Auto.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 986
Just an off the top of the head guess - probably nothing that would really be worthwhile. Between the air intakes and the latches on the doors, there's really not much room for glass. And even if there was some there.... the fire viewing probably wouldn't be all that great anyway if the stove wasn't really designed with an airflow that keeps that area clean. Off topic of your question.... what's the floor protection you have under the stove there? Can't really tell what that is.

It would be cheaper cost investment wise to just buy a new modern stove , beautiful view through the glass door and the wood and money saved by being a lot higher in efficiency pays back the cost a lot faster.

Harley covered the rest real well about converting glass to an old stove.

I'm with everything here. Not worth the trouble and to be honest I'm not personally aware of a kit that would allow you to do so. I designed a set up for those stoves, but never went anywhere with it because practically it didn't make much sense.

Harley said:
Just an off the top of the head guess - probably nothing that would really be worthwhile. Between the air intakes and the latches on the doors, there's really not much room for glass. And even if there was some there.... the fire viewing probably wouldn't be all that great anyway if the stove wasn't really designed with an airflow that keeps that area clean. Off topic of your question.... what's the floor protection you have under the stove there? Can't really tell what that is.

I can't tell for sure either, but looking real close at the edges, I don't think it's brick or tile - looks almost like it might be a hunk of brick pattern linoleum or something like it. Can't tell for sure what the surrounding floor is, but looks like carpet, which makes that hearth look suspicious to me as well. Even if the material is OK though, it look like the size is reasonable only in the front, I don't even think those side clearance dimensions would pass muster with a PE, let alone an old Pre-EPA unit like that one.

Even worse, it appears to me like the stove itself is not real well supported - It looks like the stove is sitting on two bricks stacked up under each leg - not the kind of stable support I'd want to see holding up several hundred pounds of hot metal filled with burning stuff...

I will second the other motions for replacement with a more modern stove, but would like to offer the friendly ammendment that the entire hearth setup be looked at and brought into code compliance....

Safety is more important than looks.

Gooserider

Corie said:
I believe its on bricks because it isn't a stove. It's an insert.

Was that Elk's head I just heard exploding??? :red: How many ways does that violate code? I'm not sure I could list them, but I'm sure that setup isn't legit or even close. Definitely needs a placement with a real stove and good going over of the layout.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Corie said:

Was that Elk's head I just heard exploding??? :red: How many ways does that violate code? I'm not sure I could list them, but I'm sure that setup isn't legit or even close. Definitely needs a placement with a real stove and good going over of the layout.

Gooserider

sorry I forgot to mention, thats not his actual stove. thats a picture I found on the net of a stove so that I could show you all his particular model. I have no idea who that actual stove belongs to. I did a google image search for kodiak stove or something like that.

shiest said:
Gooserider said:
Corie said:

Gooserider

sorry I forgot to mention, thats not his actual stove. thats a picture I found on the net of a stove so that I could show you all his particular model. I have no idea who that actual stove belongs to. I did a google image search for kodiak stove or something like that.

Glad that's not yours then, sorry if we came across a bit heavy about it, but the setup we were seeing is a fire waiting to happen... Hopefully whoever owns it will show up here before they burn their house down.

That said, I think the other parts of the advice are still valid, it probably isn't feasible to try and upgrade the doors on your existing stove, you would be better off replacing it with a more modern stove that will burn cleaner and has newly designed "airwash" systems intended specifically to keep the window glass clean so that you can really see the fire. (and the new stoves with secondary combustion can be even more impressive to watch than the old wasteful style fires.) There are stoves and inserts that are particularly noted for having big windows, if you give us a better idea about the size and style of replacement you'd want (possibly a picture of your actual "real" current setup) we can suggest what models might be particularly well suited for you.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.