Replacement for a Stihl 025

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chain question; with regard to the full chisel signing off abruptly, it's been my experience that they also gum up quickly when cutting pitchy wood- that's having experience with a full chisel going on 6 weeks now. Would that be a correct observation.............

Chain question; with regard to the full chisel signing off abruptly, it's been my experience that they also gum up quickly when cutting pitchy wood- that's having experience with a full chisel going on 6 weeks now. Would that be a correct observation.............

I haven't cut that much pine, but I can't think of a reason that a chisel chain would accumulate pitch any faster than a semi-chisel. Is your oiler working properly?

It has a lot to do with the saws ability to dispel chips.

Example. My Jonsered 2166/2172 and my Stihl 661 get rid of chips fast. Ultra fast and are great noodlers. Both saws perform top notch with full chisel chains in all conditions.

My vintage but strong running Stihl 031 and ported screaming like on steroids ported Jonsered 2252 both using outboard clutches gum up quicker with stuck wood chips. My Jred Is a very strong small saw but noddles like crap and gums up fast and over oils to boot making it worse. Both are terrible noodlers but neither saw is built to noodle. They are firewood saws.

It's really got nothing to do with chain type. Either your oiler isn't working correct or it's your saws design.

What saw are we talking about ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.