Replacement of Woodstock catalytic converter? Length of Woodstock Warranties?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
Thanks to JPL I now have some idea of what a "newer" used Keystone / Palladian is worth.

But he now has me wondering about the cost of a catalytic converter; and the likelihood that it might need replacing. I'm also wondering how the average person would go about obtaining the replacement part(s) and actually replacing it. My husband is a pretty handy guy with mechanical aptitude so he might be able to figure it out but I'm not sure if he could tell by looking at it if it needs replacing.

Also, does anyone here know how long the Woodstock warranty runs? What kind of documentation would you need --as a second owner-- to enforce the warranty?

Would they be able to track the in-service date with a serial number? If so, would that be enough or would they want the original Proof of Purchase / Ownership and perhaps a formal transfer of the warranty?

I did check the Woodstock site for warranty info but I could find anything. I'm guessing I wasn't looking hard enough since that type of info shoud be there.

I don't mind calling Woodstock to have them fill in the blanks, so to speak, but I'd like some basic info before doing that.

As always, thanks for the info.
~Cath

The converter is usually warranted by it's manufacturer (not the stove maker) - or, at least that is what I remember. As far as whether it needs replacing, that is hard to say, but in general if it is there (exists, and is less than 20% worn away/crumbled, etc.), then it will work. In other words, most of them degrade physically before they degrade chemically.

The warranty on converters is mandated (as a minimum) by the EPA....as I remember it is 5 or 6 years, but pro-rated - meaning you only get a discount after year one or two. As a for instance, in year 5 you would have to pay 80% of the cost. Chances are you can do better by shopping around and buying a replacement at full price.

I would think they can trace by serial, but you might need a receipt if the warranty is through the cat manufacturer.

Replacement should be an easy job.

And the catalytic combuster throught Woodstock Stove's website is $125.00. There are a number of threads on this site about how to determine if the combuster needs replacement. It's intended to be easily removed for cleaning, so it's easily replaced too. My concerns about buying a used stove are making sure nothings is cracked and that there is no evidence of overfiring such as warped parts etc. The nice thing about the Woodstock stoves is that they basically are all bolted together so most any portion of it can fairly easily be replaced. My stab at the value of a 4-5 year old stove is influenced by my belief that Woodstocks products are really made to last a lifetime. You should be able to hand this down to you kids, even grandkids, and in my mind that ups the resale value of these stoves. I cannot remember reading of anyone that has not liked their Woodstock stove.

JPL,
Thanks for the info.

I just called Woodstock and spoke with a rep that was very helpful. I learned the following.

Parts and labor are guaranteed for 6 months and 1 year respectively. I was surprised since I thought some manufacturers had a 3 year warranty and I know Woodstock's reputation for durability and reliability. I would have thought they could warranty it for longer than that.

He explained that since they can be overfired or otherwise misused that they can't warranty them any longer than that. As a practical matter it may have something to do with not having dealers providing the service to make a determination on whether damage was caused by abuse or misuse (just a guess). I wonder if that means you get fewer arguments in the first year since you aren't going at it with a dealer that doesn't want to eat the warranty work.

I don't know if you've checked out your Palladian or not but here is an overview of what he told me too look for, as best I can remember. There are 5 moving parts outlined below. The fifth item is the firebox itself.

1) Check to make sure the loading door is in good working order.
2) 1st Lever: Combustor Bypass (there should be a black plastic ball on top) - Crank up and down to see if it is too tight or too loose. Possibility of warping noted.
3) 2nd Lever: Air Damper slide lever - move up and down should be able to "feel" it operating. I
assume there is the possibility of warping with this part as well.
4) 3rd Lever: Ashpan lever: pull towards you, presumably checking for the "feel" of it. Again, I assume you are checking for the possiblity of warping.
5) There should be furnace cement showing in all the corners of the inside of the fire box.

Also, he confirmed that the catalytic converter costs $125.00. He advises it should be removed for cleaning several times a season. He explains it is accessed through the alternate vent hole.
I didn't think to ask if you can do a visual inspection without removing it. I vaguely remember him saying something about 4 allen screws. I'm guessing they need to be unscrewed to actually get at the catalytic converter.

Finally, he couldn't give a ballpark figure on the value of a used Keystone. He did say a used "Fireview" runs about $1,000.00. His best guess is that a Keystone would be about $900.00 or so.

Hope you find some of this info useful.
~Cath

Cath, thanks for the info. I've already made the purchase so I'm now the proud owner of a Keystone soapstone stove, not a palladian. This has been a working stove set up in a house similar in size to mine, basically used 24/7 through the heating season. Its got some small scratches here and there in the sopstone which i know can be buffed out. A stain or two on the cast iron. Unfortunately I did not move the levers myself, she (the cuurent owner did). She also showed my the cat access, yes four allen screws, pretty easy to get to. I'm excited to have the stove. I've always loved the look of their product and this is a substantial upgrade for me to a true EPA stove. Hope you are equally succesful in your search.

ThePhotoHound said:
JPL -

Congratulations! You're gonna love it. I have the same stove (but I paid 4x what you did). If you have any questions along the way, just ask! My personal e-mail is [email protected]. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm sure I'll be talking to you. Gotta go through the install process, I think I want to build up my hearth about 4-6" to increase its' visibility over furniture and stuff. Chimney hook up should be pretty easy since I'm just swapping out an old stove. No clearance issues. So once I start firing it i suspect I'll be looking for your input on what works best for you. Now i'm REALLY looking forward to heating season!

I had to replace my cat after 1 season, but that was probably my fault. (dumb ass Todd) :red: Woodstock was good enough to send me a new one free of charge. Craig is right, they pro rate them through the manufacture. The first 2 years are freebees then the price goes up to the $125 after 6 years.

JPL,
Congrats on the new stove, you will love it.

Cath There are even better after market cat combustors than OEM ones they will light off a full 25 % earlier Even Vermont casting claims they are better than tha same OEM combustors

I believe you use the 6" round which cost $85. I can advise how to clean them and yess I clean them at the start of the burning season and at mid point

http://www.stovecombustors.com/ourcatalog.html

Edity addition Jp let me know if you need help installing that stove or picking it up

Congratulations on the new stove, and likewise, let us know if you need a hand with it...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.