Replacement Parts for old Stove- Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boisblancboy

Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
Hey everyone, new guy here.

I just bought an old Vermont Castings Resolute wood stove. The stove is in pretty good shape but there are a few things I would like to replace but I am having a hard time finding any parts. Can anyone help me on where to find parts? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Thanks, I think those links will do. Not surprising that some of the parts are pretty expensive since the stove is just about 30 years old. The things I want to replace are, the front door handle, the pawl (if im correct that the latch inside the door to pull it tightly closed??), and all the gaskets.

Those shouldn't be too pricey. The larger structural parts like wood grates and the bars at the bottom of the doors and such things are getting pretty crazy. Starting to watch for old pieces of what I've got in various places. I'll buy them if they've got parts I can use. Might even make an extra one out of two of them ready to go.

boisblancboy said:
Thanks, I think those links will do. Not surprising that some of the parts are pretty expensive since the stove is just about 30 years old. The things I want to replace are, the front door handle, the pawl (if im correct that the latch inside the door to pull it tightly closed??), and all the gaskets.

I have been looking for a firm date on the stove so it would make it easier to look up parts. Well I just went out and cleaned the whole thing up and it looks brand new. I looked down the chimney and inside it I found a couple dates both saying 84, would it be safe to think thats when it was built?

That's the date of the casting mould... might have been after, unlikely before.

boisblancboy said:
I have been looking for a firm date on the stove so it would make it easier to look up parts. Well I just went out and cleaned the whole thing up and it looks brand new. I looked down the chimney and inside it I found a couple dates both saying 84, would it be safe to think thats when it was built?

Thanks again. Does anyone know of a place where I could read a manual of the stove I have?

So far the only part that I want to replace is the back damper that is controlled by the thermostate. Someone must have lost it or broke it and has made a new out of 3/16" plate steel and I am afraid that is probably heavier that what the original damper weighed and the thermostate is not going to controll that right. Any ideas?

Should see if you can identify your stove here...

http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merch...&Store_Code=SPP&Category_Code=VERMONTCASTINGS

They have parts diagrams with descriptions and dates of manufacture on all the stoves.

Once you figure out which one it is, let me know. I will check with my cousin to see if he might have something in his warehouse. They have a bunch of old stuff laying around. "Basket cases"...

Going to a friend's house. He and his wife are cooking potatoes, and broccoli. I am providing the Alaskan Halibut... and corn on the cob.

boisblancboy said:
Thanks again. Does anyone know of a place where I could read a manual of the stove I have?

So far the only part that I want to replace is the back damper that is controlled by the thermostate. Someone must have lost it or broke it and has made a new out of 3/16" plate steel and I am afraid that is probably heavier that what the original damper weighed and the thermostate is not going to controll that right. Any ideas?

Should be a metal plate, around the ash drawer, or on the bottom... date of manufacture and make and model. Mine is so worn you can't read it... but I know what it is.

:)

http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merch...TGY&Store_Code=SPP&Category_Code=VC-RES2-0042

Its the Resolute II. The griddle on mine sets completely flush with the top. I really didnt pay attention if it had glass in the door cause its so dirty, but I will go take a close look to see. I noticed in the manual though that it didnt show the little damper in the back on the bottom that is controlled by the thermostat, if that makes much difference. thanks a bunch for the help!!

Im jealous of the dinner you are having, it sounds great!

Well, this is going to sound kind of goofy. But the Resolute I has a single door with 2 hole in the flue collar. The Resolute II has a single door with 4 holes in the flue collar. The Resolute III has double doors with 4 holes in the flue collar. This is assuming no field modifications have been made. Parts still might be available from a VC (or Monessen) dealer. The Resolute II was manufactured from 1981 to 1983 with a griddle that does indeed sit flush on the top. Based on your description it sounds like you want to replace the thermostat flap. But I can't be sure with these old units. Good luck getting dealer support - cough. But I applaud your efforts to restore a nice stove.

Here is my stove, thought it might help a little bit. In the third picture of the back of the stove, you can see I have the thermostat cover off and the chain that leads to the small damper, which is what I am also trying to find and replace.

Attachments

• S4200001.JPG
    S4200001.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,026
  • S4200002.JPG
    S4200002.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 755
  • S4200003.JPG
    S4200003.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 777
Status
Not open for further replies.