Replacement sump pump probs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcav

Feb 16, 2008
Western Ny
Hello all,

Just replaced an old sump pump (submersible) with the same hp rating and everything, i put the check valve in and placed the pump on bricks in the sump. When i plugged it in and move the float to activate the pump, the pump itself turns on but does not empty the sump. Any and all help is appreciated.

Please do not be offended by this question, but, is the check valve installed correctly? It only works one way. Most have a flow direction arrow on the case. As an aside, do you really need a check valve if the sump water is just being dumped outside? Less moving parts = less problems IMHO

Try removing the check valve from the circuit and see how it works, unless the sump water is going into a wastewater pipe. You need a check valve for that application

Good luck

The sump pump uses a seperate check valve on the pipe and it is listed as required. The pump just empites outside the house not into a sewer or anything. The check valve is installed in the direction of water flow, and is threaded right onto the pumps base. Then the pvc pip is connected via a boot to the check valve. And no offense taken i appreciate any help.

You want the check valve so that the sump does not refill with a pipe full of water every time that the pump shuts off. This could lead to short cycling especially bad in smaller sumps.

Check your pump manual if using a check valve. It might spec a 1/8" hole down on the pipe near the neck of the pump.

Remember that the pump might not be able to empty the entire sump, especially if it is on bricks - there is usually a certain gap just due to the nature of the pickup, probably on the order of about 1/2" to an inch (your manual should say) plus the depth added by any bricks....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.