replacing 20 year old pipe problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burning to know

Sep 18, 2014
British Columbia, Canada
Hello,
We have a 20 year old double wall insulated 6" (James A. Ryder Manufacturing) pipe that connects our wood stove to the chimney (Oliver MacLeod HT 3000) that seems IMPOSSIBLE to take apart. Any hints/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: We have to replace the old wood stove and some of the piping. New pipes do not connect to the old system.

Hello,
We have a 20 year old double wall insulated 6" (James A. Ryder Manufacturing) pipe that connects our wood stove to the chimney (Oliver MacLeod HT 3000) that seems IMPOSSIBLE to take apart. Any hints/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: We have to replace the old wood stove and some of the piping. New pipes do not connect to the old system.
Get a bigger hammer!
I'm not following your set up here. Is it a masonry chimney with the double wall chimney pipe connecting it to the stove? Or is it double wall chimney all the way out?

It's a double wall chimney pipe that is exposed from the stove to the top of the cathedral ceiling, then goes out.
Are you suggesting hammering the ____ out of it at the connections, which we have been trying to 'untwist.'
Somewhat embarrassed to say that we never thought of that...
Thanks.

Sometimes installers will use a few small sheet metal screws to hold the sections together so you might want to look in case. I have one section on the top of the roof that I used to unscrew to clean the chimney and it is impossible now to unscrew, so I take a whole 4' piece off instead.
Yup, I'd use a big hammer and wear eye protection. The crud inside will go flying.

It's a double wall chimney pipe that is exposed from the stove to the top of the cathedral ceiling, then goes out.
Are you suggesting hammering the ____ out of it at the connections, which we have been trying to 'untwist.'
Somewhat embarrassed to say that we never thought of that...
Thanks.
Maybe not yet. How bout a picture of what you have. It should be double wall stove pipe from the stove up to the cathedral box, there it switches to double wall insulated chimney.

I'm actually looking for a 24" section of HT3000 to replace a damaged piece in my chimney. Any chance you still have a 24" piece in good shape?

Cheers,
Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.