replacing a zero clearance insert with a zero clearance pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fph9999

Mar 10, 2010
bc
I have a zero clearance fireplace insert with an 8" class A stainless steel chimney running inside the walls of my house.
Since this insert is a low efficiency insert, I wonder if it is within code to install a pellet stove in place of the wood insert.

I would prefer to not replace the chimney but simply add a liner within the existing chimney. Any advise would be appreciated.

You should not have any problems replacing a ZC wood insert with a pellet insert so long as you have enough room. In some cases you can install the pellet insert directly into the wood firebox (if its large enough) and connect directly to your class A pipe. If not, you remove the ZC fireplace, install the ZC box for the pellet unit, and run PL pipe (double wall pellet) until you can connect to the classA. Your local code may require you to run a SS liner through the class A, but I've never seen that. Most of the owner's manuals will give instructions on how to do this, so if you have a unit in mind you can probably download the manual and "thumb" through it to see what the specific requirements are. Good luck.

First of all, I think what you have is a Zero Clearance (ZC) Fireplace - not an insert.
If it's a ZC fireplace, it probably DOES NOT have Class A chimney components.
If you install a pellet burning Insert into your ZC box, your best bet is to run a liner
from the insert, up the double wall venting and attach to a cap. This will make cleaning
that much easier, as you can brush everything down - assuming you can get to the cap -
without having to remove the pellet burning appliance...
Code may dictate that you wrap the pellet liner for heat transfer issues, as your existing
venting has a 2" clearance to combustibles & your pellet liner may require more...

Franks said:
As per usual exactly what Daksy said. Shouldnt you be lurking in the gas forums Daksy?

Yeah, but lurking there ain't what it's cracked up to be...
Not much on the gas forum these days, dang it...

Status
Not open for further replies.