Replacing an Intrepid II (model 1308)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiobi

Feb 4, 2008
North Island Japan
I have an Intrepid II (model 1308) going into its 18th season. It has worked well for me, but it is going to need some new parts soon (a cat., throat hood, possibly a refractor) and some re-cementing done. I have a chance to get a stove to Japan when a friend brings over a container next month, which would be a huge savings over buying a stove here. If I buy the newest version of the Intrepid II would my warming shelves, bottom and rear heat shields fit or would I need to buy new ones? I am a little nervous about Vermont Castings after reading about the troubles some people have had, but most of that seems to be with the everburn technology. The Intrepid II cat has been around for a long time, so I think it should be okay.

The other reason I am leaning to replacing the stove with another Intrepid II is I won't need to worry about the clearances or chimney issues. If I were to go with a different maker does anyone have any suggestions for a stove with similar clearances and heat output?

Kamiobi said:
I have an Intrepid II (model 1308) going into its 18th season. It has worked well for me, but it is going to need some new parts soon (a cat., throat hood, possibly a refractor) and some re-cementing done. I have a chance to get a stove to Japan when a friend brings over a container next month, which would be a huge savings over buying a stove here. If I buy the newest version of the Intrepid II would my warming shelves, bottom and rear heat shields fit or would I need to buy new ones? I am a little nervous about Vermont Castings after reading about the troubles some people have had, but most of that seems to be with the everburn technology. The Intrepid II cat has been around for a long time, so I think it should be okay.

The other reason I am leaning to replacing the stove with another Intrepid II is I won't need to worry about the clearances or chimney issues. If I were to go with a different maker does anyone have any suggestions for a stove with similar clearances and heat output?

I had a 1303. The warming shelves should work. I think the heat shields will work also, but I am not 100% certain. The Intrepid has not changed much over the years.

If you were to go with a different stove, what do you wish the Intrepid had that would make it more enjoyable to use?

I guess the only thing I would like is longer burns, but I know that I am limited by the firebox size. Right now when I am burning oak, elm or walnut and I load the stove around 11 at night I still have enough coals in the morning to get a fire started. The other thing my wife always wanted was bigger windows to see the fire better and the new Intrepid II has that. I sometimes think it would be nice to have soap stone, but I am not sure I am willing to pay that or not.

Kamiobi said:
I guess the only thing I would like is longer burns, but I know that I am limited by the firebox size. Right now when I am burning oak, elm or walnut and I load the stove around 11 at night I still have enough coals in the morning to get a fire started. The other thing my wife always wanted was bigger windows to see the fire better and the new Intrepid II has that. I sometimes think it would be nice to have soap stone, but I am not sure I am willing to pay that or not.

You should look into the Woodstock Keystone. It is a little larger than the Intrepid, but it will provide longer burn times, it is more controllable when it comes to temperature, and ongoing maintenance costs are a lot less. Right now the price is about the same as an Intrepid (pricing is based on US pricing of Intrepids vs. the current sale of the Keystone).

http://www.woodstove.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&Itemid=30

It looks like rear and side clearances are pretty close to the same. I have no idea where your friend is coming from with his container, but if it is from the states, the Keystone would be really close to the same price, it seems to match your clearance requirements, it will give longer burn times, a little more firepower, and cheaper ongoing maintenance.

The stove really looks nice, but the timing just isn't right. It looks like it will be the Intrepid II again.

Kamiobi said:
The stove really looks nice, but the timing just isn't right. It looks like it will be the Intrepid II again.

Go with what works. The Intrepid seemed to have serve you well. Nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.