Replacing brick in VC Montpelier insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishJim

Jan 17, 2012
Northern VA
My VC Montpelier insert is 3 years old and I noticed after a fire a couple weeks ago that the left wall bricks and the back wall bricks were cracked. My dealer said these were covered under warranty, but I'll have to pay $175 to have them installed. They said it's an easy install so I should just do it myself, so I've tried to remove the old bricks myself, but can't get the back bricks out. I got the side bricks out only because they were cracked in half, but I can't get the new side bricks installed without removing the back bricks and possibly the top baffles.

Has anyone had success doing this themselves?

If just cracked, the bricks are still doing their job. Unless there is an integrity issue with them....fugitaboutit.

From the stove diagram these appear to be brick panels and not conventional firebrick. Often these panels need to be removed in the correct sequence starting with the bottom first. I would contact the dealer and ask them what the sequence is and if there are any hidden or special retainers that need to be also removed.

Thanks for your replies. And they are brick panels, I used the wrong terminology. The right and back panels only have minor cracks, so I could leave them in, but the left panel was completely cracked in 3 pieces, so I've taken that one out but can't fit the new one in. I believe you are correct about the sequence, it's like a jigsaw puzzle. I'll try and contact VC to see if they can shed more light on the proper way to remove the old panels.

Did you ever succeed in replacing your brick panels?

IrishJim has not been here since then and is therefore unlikely to see your question. You can click on his username and start a conversation with him. That will generate an email to which he may respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.