replacing cat in bk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Hey guys im trying to swap out my cat in the bk. i took out old cleaned everything really good. put the new gasket around the cat nice and tight and i cannot get it to go into place. manual says it will go in loose but thats not happening. i cante even get the the started in there. stove is a little warm but no hot i can touch the inside easily. do i need to wait for it to be cold?

The gasket expands with heat, so that could possibly be the problem? How is the stove warm? You took out the cat when you were still using the stove?

Are you sure you are putting it back in the same way you removed it?

stove is warm to touch loaded it this morning at 530 am let it burn down all day so 17 hours. gasket is not expanding i think it expands with high temps. i will wait and try and slide it in the morning.

im thinking it will shrink up a little inside as the stove cools.

Is the new cat the same size..seems to be some confusion at times.

ecocavalier02 said:
Hey guys im trying to swap out my cat in the bk. i took out old cleaned everything really good. put the new gasket around the cat nice and tight and i cannot get it to go into place. manual says it will go in loose but thats not happening. i cante even get the the started in there. stove is a little warm but no hot i can touch the inside easily. do i need to wait for it to be cold?

Take a look at the pics. The new cat has a metal piece around it while the old cat doesn't. In the pic with the cats standing on there sides you can see the metal tabs on the right and left of the new cat. Make sure that metal piece isn't still in the stove.

Attachments

• Cat1.jpg
    Cat1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 321
  • Cat2.jpg
    Cat2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 304
There are two metal tabs in the stove on the right and left that ware not attached to the stove. you can see it in the picture. The cat will go in without these. its ok to take these out?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 302
you can see the to side metal tabs. the only way this cat is going inthere is without them.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 277
well i took the tabs out of the stove and i still cannot get it in. the cat measures the same size as the old one. i dont know whats going on. it should slide in easily ? i have the gasket on tight . this is really frustrating.

now i have ripped one gasket so i tried putting in on the old cat and getting the old one in and that ones super tight as well.

I do not have a cat stove, but I would think it ought to be "loose" without the gasget and a bit tighter with it. You need to force the air through the cat, not let it escape around it.

Just my $0.02.

This might be a dumb question but you are trying to put the cat in with the tabs facing you correct?

I think those other tabs you took out are spacers and should be left in the stove.

When you wrapped your gasket around the cat did you but the ends up against each other or did you over lap it? they should be butted against each other.

learnin to burn said:
I think those other tabs you took out are spacers and should be left in the stove.

When you wrapped your gasket around the cat did you but the ends up against each other or did you over lap it? they should be butted against each other.
im realizing that now. im a huge idiot took them out and then could not shut the bypass damper after the fire was going. im such an idiot. i butted the ends together and now i have to gasket to use since i destroyed one trying to get it in. and also i taped the gasket around super tight. i was able to get the bypass to shut. but now i have to wait for stove to cool again and take it out and wait for new gasket to come in. this is turing into a hell of a project. i dont understand why its fitting in so tight.

I wasn't going to do this, this year, but I recently took my combustor out and cleaned it as shown in the manual (distilled water and vinegar). After receiving new gasket, I just re-installed it, and here is what I can tell you.

As for those metal tabs on the side of the combustor housing...mine has them too. I left them in place...figured they are there for a reason.

The combustor is a snug fit with the new gasket, but mine is certainly manageable, with a little coaxing. I had to get the top of the combustor started into the housing first...after the top was in a very small amount, I then worked on the bottom of the combustor...the gasket on the bottom of the combustor kept rolling/wrinkling as I slide the bottom in...I had to use a flat blade screw driver to nudge the gasket in as I slowly slid the combustor in.

So, I had to push the top in a little..then the bottom in a little while nudging the gasket with the screw driver to keep it from wrinkling...then top - bottom - nudge...top - bottom - nudge...until it was fully in place.

This may sound silly too...there is one side of the combustor that does not have metal tabs sticking out...make sure that tabless side is up when installing.

learnin to burn said:
This might be a dumb question but you are trying to put the cat in with the tabs facing you correct?
yeah i
put it in right.

now i have to pull it back out and try and get it in with those pieces in there. i have one more gasket but now its ripped in to spots. you guys think its ok to put it on and just put masking tape to hold it. this really stinks. i didnt think it would be that hard to get it in there. the manual made it sound like itd slide in loose then heat up and be good.

ecocavalier02 said:
There are two metal tabs in the stove on the right and left that ware not attached to the stove. you can see it in the picture. The cat will go in without these. its ok to take these out?
I wonder if it would be easier to put those tabs onto the new cat and hold them there while you work it in?
I'm curious to how you make out because some day I'll want to take mine out to deep clean it or change it out.

Did you end up with the OE cat and gasket or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket I wonder if that makes a slight difference?

I got it if Condar. Also I tried ti out the gasket around old one and it was equally as tight.

HotCoals said:
ecocavalier02 said:
I wonder if it would be easier to put those tabs onto the new cat and hold them there while you work it in?
I'm curious to how you make out because some day I'll want to take mine out to deep clean it or change it out.
I thought bout that but the tabs are grooved. And they have ti be in whenu install.

well i got the stove cooled off and got the cat out i was able to salvage the other gasket and get the cat in. all i can say is holy crap. that was ridiculous how tuff that was to get in. i had to maneuver it up and down and push like a frekin animal to get it in. i dont know if anyone else changed it out and had that problem but all i know is that was not fun.

rdust said:
Did you end up with the OE cat and gasket or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket I wonder if that makes a slight difference?
isnt the stock combustor condar? if i got the cat and gasket from the dealer it would have been different?

Status
Not open for further replies.