Replacing convection blower with a quieter one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmurphy384

Dec 15, 2010
Severna Park, MD
I have a Napoleon NPI45 pellet insert stove. It functions fine, but the convection blower is loud. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. . . it's just doing what it's supposed to do. I know there are some reports of Napoleon convection fans with bad bearings . . . it's not that kind of noise. It's just the noise of a blower motor. My pellet stove is in my family room (where we watch TV). Probably a poor poor place to put it. .. but. . that's where the chimney is. The exhaust fan is fine . . . the convection fan grates my nerves.

Are there any quieter replacements out there?? In looking at the many YouTube video's I've seen. . . . it seems all of these conventional stoves share the same parts or have the same basic construction/architecture.

I've even thought of trying to find a way to mount the convection blower outside of the house (near the cold-air intake) and hook it up to the stoves electronics. I'm no mechanical engineer, but I can't believe someone doesn't have a "outdoor fan" system like this. All you would need is a few couplings for the various stove couples. The electrical part would be simple.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

Hello

First check if there are oil plugs like my yellow ones in the pic of the convection blower in my Avalon Astoria below.

If so, some 3-1 oil might help quiet it down some. That would be a cheap solution if it works!

Attachments

• ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 674
If you can do the mechanical part it might be possible to house the motor outside, however you would still have air movement noise from the turning impeller. In any event you have to keep the cold air from the blower itself.

You might be able to muffle it quite a bit by making certain that it is tightly mounted on the stove using a flexible gasket between the stove and the flange of the blower. Even going so far as to brace the assembly in place with additional supports. It is also possible that the blower's air flow is causing something to vibrate inside the heat exchanger. If you can find another blower that provides at least the same air flow at each firing rate as your current blower and that blower operates at a different rotational rate you may see things get quieter as well.

It is hard to have a relatively high flow rate rotating blower be totally quiet.

Perhaps Dyson has something.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check to see about the oil ports. I don't think it's any louder than other models I've seen/heard in showroom floors . . it's just that it's in my family room, so anything I can do to reduce the fan/blower noise will be a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.