Replacing Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
I have a Jotul F 3CB woodstove and was wondering how often should the door gasket be replaced. I bought the stove used and it was purchased new @ 2003. I know depending how much the stove is used will be a determining factor but even if the stove wasn't burnt all that much the gasket is still getting compressed while the door is closed. What is the determining factor to know when the gasket needs replacement? Other than extreme or obvious leaks.

I don't know how clean the window stays on that stove (will vary with how hot the fire is, too) but if your window is getting dirty it could indicate a leaking gasket. There's always the dollar-bill test but with a stove of that vintage, being unsure of when the gaskets were done, I would probably do door and window gasket, and the ash pan if it has one. I use only OEM gaskets; They are the right density/quality to do the job right. Don't stretch, just tamp 'em into the cement in the groove with your fingers...

The window stays pretty clean unless I'm burning at a low temp for a long time. When I load up and burn hot the window clears up without a problem. You mentioned cement with the gasket. Is that sold separately?

Woodman's Parts Plus has a Jotul Universal Gasket Kit for $39. Is that a good deal or can I do better elsewhere?

Woodman's Parts Plus has a Jotul Universal Gasket Kit for $39. Is that a good deal or can I do better elsewhere?

I got the kit for the Dutchwest from them, $60, so $40 sounds pretty good to me. If they have a description of what the gasket is (e.g. 'medium-density' or 'high-density',) you may be able to get them ala carte, as mellow suggests. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about a few extra bucks if it's a question of getting the right gasket material or not...that kit price won't be too far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.