Replacing fiberglass door seals - Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenswood

Sep 17, 2008
South King County, WA
Hi,

I need to replace the fiberglass "rope" on my stove door. The piece around the glass came right out after removing a few screws and plates. The piece around the door seems to be glued in with some red stuff. The fiberglass is compressed and seems to be leaking air. Before I pry it out, is there a better way to improve the seal around the door? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Doug

Ravenswood said:
Hi,

I need to replace the fiberglass "rope" on my stove door. The piece around the glass came right out after removing a few screws and plates. The piece around the door seems to be glued in with some red stuff. The fiberglass is compressed and seems to be leaking air. Before I pry it out, is there a better way to improve the seal around the door? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Doug

That "rope" is gasket to seal the door. The "RED STUFF" is high temperature RTV silicone.
If the gasket has hardened up to the point that it will no compress & spring back, replace it.
Go to your local Quad dealer & they will have (or can get you) the correct gasketing material.
They will also have the RTV or you can get it at an auto parts store.
Pry the old gasketing out & wire brush the channel to clean it.
Apply the RTV in a continuous bead in the groove all the way around the door.
Start your gasket between the hinges and tuck it into the RTV, gradually working your way around the door.
DO NOT STRETCH THE GASKET.
When your ends meet, cut the gasket with very sharp scissors to make a nice straight edge & butt the ends together.
Close the door for as long as the RTV manufacturere says to let it set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.