Replacing Firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I have access to steel cut-offs that are the size of the firebrick that is in our Fisher wood stove. My question is: would it detrimental to the stove if I replaces the brick with steel blocks?
Thanks

I was under the impression that the firebrick help reflect the heat, as well as retain it, they also are there to protect the walls, steel walls, so I would think that puppy may even get hotter with steel lined firebox, no expert here at all, but just a thought.

Steve's right. The firebrick is an insulator, steel a conductor. I think you'd damage the stove by putting steel in to replace the firebrick.

I'm not sure you'd damage it, but you'd certainly change the way it burned... there are at least several EPA stoves on the market that use cast iron liners - the Jotul F602 and F3 come to mind.

heat would be conducted as said earlier, firebricks are installed in woodstoves to absorb heat and hold it allowing a unit to hold heat from the fire longer while being insulated from the direct heat of the fire, do not use the steel cutouts , the heat from the fire would be conducted through them to the walls of the firebox probably with adverse effects , also the stove would not hold the heat inside and give that "warm morning" effect as the steel would impart that heat quicker, pulling the brick in favor of steel cutouts would not only reduce the protection of the firebox , the unit would cool faster when the wood was burned out , i gotta do this ...

and there's nothing cold as ashes, after the fire is gone sorry, but i love that song

Status
Not open for further replies.