Replacing Harman Pellet Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2014
Coventry RI
We purchased a house last year that had a Harman P35i insert installed. We were not pleased with it's performance or the overall use of Pellets. I want to replace it with wood. I was originally hoping to be able to pull it out, put some good doors on it and use it as a fireplace, but it appears there is no firebox. I am attaching pictures of what the space behind the insert looks like. The local store says that I cannot burn wood in this which I would agree and they don't believe a wood insert would work either. Why. I am not sure? They said I could buy a epa rated fireplace. I do not know anything about these. Can anyone educate me? Any opinions on the condition of the fireplace? Any idea how much I could get for the pellet stove? It is two years old and in good condition. What would I need to do to be able to put a wood insert in here? I was thinking of getting a Jotul C450. Anythoughts on that? Thanks for the help!

. 20150913_141840_resized.jpg 20150913_141915_resized.jpg

We would need to see the whole unit with the surround pulled off so we can see what it is installed in. But no there is absolutely no way you can burn wood in that at all.

I am going to try to get this pulled out this week and I will upload more pics. Can you explain what the difference is between an EPA rated fireplace and a fireplace Insert and why one would work and not the other?

thanks

I am going to try to get this pulled out this week and I will upload more pics. Can you explain what the difference is between an EPA rated fireplace and a fireplace Insert and why one would work and not the other?
thanks
An insert needs to go into a working wood burning fireplace with a chimney that would need to be lined. A prefab or zeroclearance epa certified fireplace goes into a framed opening and has a prefab metal chimney attached to it.

Here is a thread of a former member that installed an EPA-approved zero clearance fireplace: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/building-the-hearth-for-my-napoleon-nz3000-what-a-quest.74273/ There are lots of pics to give you an idea how that compares to a full masonry brick fireplace.
There are many different units on the market. You really need to educate yourself that you find one that you will be happy with. What kind of budget do you have in mind for this project?

Another option would be to tear out what you have, finish the walls, create a nice hearth and put a freestanding stove there.

Status
Not open for further replies.