Replacing Old Craft Stove Insert with Pellet Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Harriss Sea

Feb 23, 2020
Durham, NC
Hello everyone, first time poster here. My head is spinning after scouring the forums! Here is my deal. Currently heat our home in Durham, NC with a 90% efficient propane furnace. Propane prices are about $2.80 per gallon. House is 1500 SF with minimal wall insulation built in 1956. We are spending about $500 per month during the heating season on propane. We want to reduce our heating bill. Currently have a 20+ year old Craft Stove insert connected to an 8" pipe in a masonry chimney. We simply do not use the wood stove due to the hassle of obtaining, splitting, stacking, and bringing wood in to the home. I picked up a used but re-built St. Croix York pellet stove insert. Seemed like a no brainer. The chimney contractor quoted $1900 to remove the Craft Stove, install a 8" to 4" reducer and install the pellet insert. That kinda kills the whole "let's save some money" notion. My primary questions are 1) is that a reasonable price for installation and the reducer and 2) what is the approximate weight of the Craft Stove insert? I'm pretty handy and moved the pellet stove with one other guy no problem, it was about 200lbs. But I am worried if the Craft Stove insert is closer to 500 lbs I won't be able to manage with one other guy. The intent is to continue using propane when needed but use the pellet stove for primary heat. Thanks!

That is pretty expensive, I would expect a full 4" liner to be installed for that price. Moving the Craft stove out is not that big a deal if you are well prepared. A sheet of metal on the hearth and some rollers (1/2" pipe) make the job easier. After it is out on the hearth, ratchet strap it to an appliance dolly. Once it has wheels attached moving it with a couple people is possible. Add another for safety, and hold the beer until the moving is done. Get the chimney thoroughly cleaned after removing the old smoke dragon and before installing the pellet stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: johneh and Ssyko
You can usually lighten the wood stoves by removing the door, and any other easily removed parts and panels, I don't think these have fire bricks to remove, but if yours does that will reduce the weight considerably.

Reactions: Ssyko and johneh