replacing old Franklin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deck2

Burning Hunk
Aug 1, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
I just picked up a new Kuma steel stove to replace an old Franklin Stove/fireplace. It is connected to a straight steel chimney via single wall 8 inch black pipe, but the clearance is only 6 inches from brick wall (floor to ceiling) up against drywall -- I felt this was unsafe, so I was going to install double wall pipe from new stove to chimney. was wondering how to connect 6 inch double wall to the existing metal chimney. Not sure of brand or how old it is, is there is a fitting or connector for this application. Chimney looks like it has never been used, with good reason.

Any Info would be a great help

Welcome Deck. You need to stick with the same manufacturer in order to have the stove fittings mate well. Is there any possibility for you to post a picture of the setup? If you can also post a picture of the exterior pipe it may help. We need to get some eyeballs on the product to identify it. One thing you might be able to see is if there is a connecting band on each joint of the exterior flue pipe. That would be a good clue.

Took Some pics, Not good photos. I noticed there is some rust on the black pipe inside and some corrosion on the Stainless. I thinking of replacing the whole chimney instead of trying to retrofit this one... I was told don't be cheap when it comes to fire saftey, to rationalize i keep telling myself to look at all the money I will save by not paying the power/gas company to heat my house!

Attachments

• stove pics 001.jpg
    stove pics 001.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 181
  • stove pics 002.jpg
    stove pics 002.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 185
  • stove pics 003.jpg
    stove pics 003.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 176
  • stove pics 004.jpg
    stove pics 004.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 185
  • stove pics 005.jpg
    stove pics 005.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for the pictures. The clearances behind the stove look too small for the franklin. Brick by itself is not a total wall shield unless the wall behind it was built non-combustible. Going to the Kuma will be a huge improvement. Which one did you get?

As far as the flue goes, it looks like a clean setup as long as the interior pipe is double-wall. A little staining on the pipe may not be a big deal. It would be good to have a certified sweep take a look at the setup to determine it's physical condition and whether it is good to use or needs replacement. He can also probably identify the brand of pipe. I'm not sure from the pics.

I called a local sweep, he said that just use a reducer to change it over to 6 inch single wall, That brick is right up against the studs/sheet rock(checked from the back) so I think he is well--- lets just say underqualified to have a listing in the yellowpages!! So I called a couple of others and it will be awhile before they can get here. Stove shop I purchased from is 120 miles away (childhood friend) talked to him he has pipe that I can get 2 inches from wall and I will need a couple of 45's, not the cheapest thing in the world but safe!! thanks for your info..

Status
Not open for further replies.