Replacing Old Wood Stove-Finished!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before....and After!!

Attachments

• 100_0163.JPG
    100_0163.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 950
  • 100_0177.JPG
    100_0177.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,003
Thank you! I am beyond thrilled with the job they did. Tomorrow I go in to pick up my red kettle and trivet and I want to get a new ash bucket. They are giving us new gloves and firestarters, etc as a gift. I want to personally tell the owner how pleased I was with his crew. We will be doing our start up fires tomorrow too if weather permits. It was over 80 here today and no way was I going to fire that baby up. ;)

Great job CG. Have a very similar plan for new construction im doing and wasnt sure. Now Im sold! my only difference is to run up the walls only 5' and have an oak mantle.

nshif said:
Great job CG. Have a very similar plan for new construction im doing and wasnt sure. Now Im sold! my only difference is to run up the walls only 5' and have an oak mantle.

Oh that sounds beautiful! I hope you post pictures of your project before, during and after.

That's just lovely !!!

Would you mind posting the dimensions? I want something similar.
Just measure from the corner to the edge of the rock wall and the depth.

Thanks,

Very Very nice I like the stone work a lot I might do that to the back of mine. Great job

Nancie said:
That's just lovely !!!

Thanks,

My hearth dimensions are:

4 feet from the corner to edge of the hearth.
Depth is 4 feet 2 inches.

Great job - excellet finished project. I agree with the other posters that you had several angels looking over you with the condition of the old pipe. The volume of pictures were awesome giving perspective to the amount of work necessary to complete the project. Enjoy!

Nancie said:
That's just lovely !!!

Thanks,

Nancie, I gave you the dimensions ^^^^ but remember, the Striker S160 is a small stove--even then we had to extend our hearth with
tile in front of the raised hearth to achieve the minimum legal clearance (16"), so keep that in mind.

BTW, I used to live in NW Arkansas in the 70's. It's beautiful there!

mgambuzza said:
Great job - excellet finished project. I agree with the other posters that you had several angels looking over you with the condition of the old pipe. The volume of pictures were awesome giving perspective to the amount of work necessary to complete the project. Enjoy!

I certainly learned alot and am thankful nothing happened to us after seeing that pipe.

Our Country Stoves dealer charged $35 per square foot labor and materials and it was worth every $$. Very labor intensive and the installer literally chose each rock placement as if he was painting a portrait.

I went in yesterday and they refunded over $500 on the project when we went over what did not have to be done that was on the original quote/invoice.
Of course, I used part of that refund for a few things they had in the store. :)

CountryGal said:
Nancie said:
That's just lovely !!!

Thanks,

Nancie, I gave you the dimensions ^^^^ but remember, the Striker S160 is a small stove--even then we had to extend our hearth with
tile in front of the raised hearth to achieve the minimum legal clearance (16"), so keep that in mind.

BTW, I used to live in NW Arkansas in the 70's. It's beautiful there!

I was just doing research on the stove with the smallest footprint that would fit my needs. I have limited space and only need the stove as a back-up/supplement.
The one I am looking at is the Jotul F3 CB. I have alittle over 2000sf and this stove is rated for 1300sf, which would be fine (I think)

I love NW Arkansas.
I am originally from south Louisiana, which is not pretty.

Thanks so much for the information.

Light 'er up!! Looks great, but needs some red glow to make it picture perfect.

BeGreen said:
Light 'er up!! Looks great, but needs some red glow to make it picture perfect.

Wouldn't you know we are having a heat wave right now? In the 80s! Plus we are waiting for our stove thermometer to arrive so we can
guage the temps of our break in fires. It should be here any day. I ordered it last week.

Our first break in fire. Tried waiting for the weather to cool off but got anxious.

The glass is getting a little hazy/smoked in the upper right hand corner of the door. I assume that's normal.
Smelling a bit of the new stove smell. Little bit of newspaper and 3 small 4" logs
and it fired right up. Edited to say: hubby just told me he used fatwood.

Attachments

• 100_0183.JPG
    100_0183.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,496
CG, that stove is so absolutely beautiful. They did a GREAT job with the install and the stone work. The haze on the window is nomal. The fire is going to be alittle smokey at first. But once you break in the stove and run some higher temps, that will burn off.

As for the smell, take advantage of the warmer weather and just open the window. It should go away after a couple fires.

Once again, PHENOMENAL looking install :)

Enjoy the warmth and safety of your NEW stove!!!!

Thanks Don! So does yours!!

I am so thrilled with it and so thankful I listened to my gut feeling about the old stove. I did open the windows and it's not too bad in here right now.

We decided it was time to get the stove broken in before the temps dropped suddenly and we would be freezing during the break in fires.

I can't use my thermometer on the stove pipe after all. We have double walled pipe from the stove to the ceiling, so it will have to go on the stove top after the break in fires. Darn! I really thought it would look great up on the pipe and easy to view too. Oh well.

CountryGal said:
Quick 5-second video of our third break-in fire. Had to open the windows it got so toasty.

Striker S160

Well it looks like were on the last chapter of the saga. Every thing looks great. The final out come is if your happy with the stove and how well it works for your this winter.

All thumbs up here. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.