replacing older stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ninasmom

Mar 20, 2008
northboro
We have a huge older Hearthsone I. It's a monster that doesn't put out much heat; we've downloaded the PDF, had new roping put in, made sure we had seasoned wood, had the chimney guy out to check that, woodstove repair guy to try and help. Finally, we have given up, and are going to get a nice, new Vermont Castings. We just need back-up heat and the Hearthstone Overwhelmed the kitchen.
we are in Central Mass.- I hate to put this in the landfill- is there a market for used stoves? I will Freecycle it or Craigslist it, but it's so big, I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing. I am still shopping around for the new one- trying to get a shop I like with good service. Anyone have recomendations around Worcester?
Thanks

Yes there is a good need for used stoves. Try craigslist. Though at this time of the year the market slows down, it will go if listed for a good price. If in good condition sell maybe for around $250?

First, if it is the old Hearthstone and you have a good draft, you might be able to get more heat from it with a damper in the stove pipe.

If you want a new stove, you might want to consider not going with VC. They may not be around for much longer.
If you have to go with VC for some reason, make sure to go with the CAT stove as the non-CAT stove is operationally complex requiring a lot of learning and attendance.

There are a number of stoves that can give you the nice looks with far less complexity and great efficiency.

Post a picture of it and you can get better est. value.

Another thought is that you might want to pick a stove that you like and then find a dealer for it.

I agree that you can get some $$ for your HS - in any condition. I remember selling a few used ones at the stove- and they were so heavy! We loaded one up in a van, and the customer asked my manager if he could return it (if he didn't like it). My manager looked at the customer and at the stove and said "At that price and that weight, this is a one way trip. Captain, and the ship is sailing your way". I remember laughing about that!

As far as the new stove, VC makes some beautiful castings. You will want to make sure to research the exact model(s) you decide on, because some of these models are made for particular uses - like burning 24/7, etc. and you have to size and choose the unit which best fits your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.