Replacing pellet insert with gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosporsche

Dec 31, 2012
Shelton,ct
So I've been running a pellet insert for several years now and getting tired of cleaning it. Since the room it's in is 25x25 with a 15 foot cathedral ceiling I'm typically running it on low. We have propane 120 gal tank at the house now for cooking and a tankless navien hot water heater

Wife wants a gas insert. Question is can I run the gas line in csst up from the basement into the brink fireplace. The fireplace goes into the basement and has a separate flue for my oil furnace.

Also I fig I'll get a direct vent with a blower anyone know how many btu's I'll need

Or do I need to come in from a different way. Our fireplace had brick on 3 sides and the backside is in the kitchen

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 146
Bring your gas line & electric for the blower up thru the ash cleanout if you can. Best bet is to use BX cable & tapcon a metal junction box to the floor of the firebox. As far as BTUs go, get one that comparable to the rating of your pellet unit. If that size pellet burner kept you warm, you probably can't go wrong with the same size in a gas unit.

If you plan on going with more gas appliances in the future, I'd consider running a larger gas line you don't have to upgrade sooner... been on too many service calls where the stove wasn't the issue, the gas supply was.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.