Replacing Pellet stove with wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen anything that looks even remotely like that that is not clay. I guess it could be something regional but it does look like you can see the red of the clay down inside the flue

Ha! Strange. It's certainly concrete, I can see tiny rocks in the mix. The construction of the blocks look very similar to concrete masonry units (cinderblocks) but made for a flue. I googled concrete chimney/flue liners and found a few photos of similar products but most were links to other countries. The house next door was built in the 1930's by the same builders (for the same original owners. this was their retirement home) and it has two clay liners poking out the top of chimney. There were a lot of custom (read funky) things about the way this house was built. Going to ask others from Oregon if concrete chimney liners are common to this area.

Bit I found on the net about concrete flues:

Concrete
A concrete flue is sometimes used on more expensive new build houses as it has the longest life expectancy of all flues, but it is more expensive than clay. It also has a high insulation value which reduces creosote and tar build-up.

Concrete flues are very robust and can be cleaned fairly vigorously with either a wire or polypropylene brush, without causing damage.

Last edited:
Concrete
A concrete flue is sometimes used on more expensive new build houses as it has the longest life expectancy of all flues, but it is more expensive than clay. It also has a high insulation value which reduces creosote and tar build-up.

Concrete flues are very robust and can be cleaned fairly vigorously with either a wire or polypropylene brush, without causing damage.
Cool i never heard of them. But again for a wood stove it doesn't matter you need a liner.

so.....are you looking for a fireplace insert or a free standing to drop on the hearth and occupy part of the fireplace opening? I too am a fan of Jotul. I've had a small (F602) and a medium (F3CB) stove that were both bullet proof. I have no experience with the larger ones but if they follow suit, they will probably be just as good. I've had a couple of Vermont Castings and their predecessors and while the early stoves were pretty good i hear the later models lack in quality control. i prefer free standing to insert but thats personal choice. i also like a blower to help move the air around and work great in this southern maryland area. good luck in your search. there are a lot of good stoves out there.
I keep hearing the term cat and non cat could someone please tell me what that means?

I keep hearing the term cat and non cat could someone please tell me what that means?
A cat stove has a catalytic combuster in it a non cat does not.

Start here. There's a hojillion threads on the merits of cats vs tubes.

There is also a nice photo of a rare front/bottom double cat stove here.
Thanks I want to know what kind of stoves are out there.I have an itty bity one compared to the Jotul but then again, I live in a moderate climate but the dry heat helps me with my bone pain and I just love wood stoves now.My house is much nicer smelling without that old house mildew smell!

Cat and non-cat (aka dog) . . . ;) . . . I only post this since other folks have given you the true, helpful answer.

Attachments

• woodboxcats1.jpg
    woodboxcats1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 104
  • dogwithwoodstove.jpg
    dogwithwoodstove.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 130
I'd like to know what this creepy thing is on the mantel, I can picture it raising it's head slowly, reminds me of the doll under the bed from Poltergeist....i hated that movie when I was a kid....

uploadfromtaptalk1453898568225.png

Status
Not open for further replies.