Replacing pipe, stove to wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I'm going to help some friends replace their pipe from the stove to the wall thimble. A small section of pipe is corroded from rust. The inside section is a 3' run to an elbow, then a 5' run to an elbow, then out to a 90 degree T and a 16.5' length of stainless triple wall on the outside. While the draft is usually adequate, occasionally they have issues with smoke blow back. I was thinking of increasing the slope of the interior pipe. Check out the pics below. Any thoughts?
InsidePipe.JPG OutsidePipe.JPG

Can't hurt.

There's not a lot of room to play with in the current configuration, but I thought I'd solicit some comments anyway. I thought it was weird that they didn't go through the masonry until I looked at the outside. Thanks for the comments.

Looks like the outside run is pretty decent. I'd try to give as much slope to the inside as humanly possible. That is definitely not an ideal connector pipe run.... I'd try to figure out exactly why it's corroded/rusted. I'd go with something substantial like Simpson or Metal-Fab etc. No Home Depot tin metal stuff.

If you can move that stove to the left and maintain clearance etc. it would do you well. That is a bit much for a horizontal run even with a good slope to it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.