Replacing Pre-Fab Wood burning fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barkfish

Jan 31, 2007
My pre-fab (Preway?) fireplace just gave out. I believe it is garbage. The concrete bottom slab cracked in half and fell in and I discovered all metal inside to be rusted beyond repair. Is it a big deal to replace the whole thing? Is it very expensive? Any help is appreciated.

If you replace it with an EPA certified zero-clearance "fireplace" (really a woodstove in a metal box that can be framed around), you're talking probably $2000-$2500 and up for the fireplace and the new chimney you will need. Labor, if you're not doing it yourself, will depend a lot on how hard it is to pull out the existing unit and chimney, and how hard it is to get the new chimney in. I wound up paying $2500 for labor, which included removal and disposal of the old unit and chimney, repairs to the chase, and install of a new chase cap. All can be done yourself if you are handy and don't mind heights.

You'll pay somewhat less for the parts if all you want is another (non-EPA, non-airtight) prefab fireplace, but the labor would be about the same I would think.

Will definitely need to see pictures and have a better idea of just what you are dealing with, but it probably is repairable although it probably won't be cheap. Exactly what needs to be done for repairs will depend in large part on what you have currently.

Do you have any idea what the vintage of the unit is?

Is it a ZC (Zero Clearnance) fireplace, or is it a "heat form" or heatilator unit?

Do you have a data plate or model ID of any sort?

How old is the house?

Inside chimney or outside?

Look up the chimney - does it look like prefabricated metal, or is it masonry with a tile liner?

You may need to get a chimney sweep or stove dealerto come evaluate what you have so that we can suggest your best options for repairs

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.