Replacing Pre-Fab Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serek

Feb 17, 2014
McCall, Idaho
IMG_20140216_235655_712.jpg IMG_20140216_235712_097.jpg

I have a Fabco Pioneer Z wood stove and it is not that efficient. We live in the mountains and have long and cold winters. I'd like to replace it with something more efficient. The firebox itself is 22" wide x 16" deep x 10" tall. The actual fireplace is about 42" wide x 24" deep x 36" tall.

I actually like the look of our fireplace, so I'd like find an insert or something that doesn't involve ripping the fireplace out if possible. Do you guys have any suggestions? My house is 2800 sq. ft. Of that space, about 1700-1800 sq ft is downstairs and the rest is upstairs with a living room and 3 bedrooms and a bathroom.

Thanks for your help.

What's behind the stone? Is it framed for your existing unit or was there a woodburning fireplace in there?
What is the chimney made of? Is it masonry or a framed in vent pipe?

It was framed for the existing unit. The chimney appears to be framed in vent pipe because it does not run along the outside of the house. It is stone where it comes out of the roof, but it looks like it's just for looks. From what I've read here. It looks like an insert is out of the question. My options are to get a newer zero clearance stove or to get a free standing stove. Any recommendations? 've heard the new ZC stoves are a lot better.

Would I have to tear out the stone to get a free standing stove, or could I just build out the hearth?

Thanks

The new EPA units are much more efficient and clean burning. Many are good heaters. There would be reconstruction on the front side because of the wide nature of the current Fabco. Newer ZCs will be taller and narrower. More squarish on the front. Could the old unit be removed by opening up the back side? That would be the least disruptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.