Replacing prefab fireplace with a woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffjosh

Nov 6, 2013
Columbia City IN
I have a prefab fire place that is about 4 years old. It has been used every winter and use a lot.

I really want to install a wood stove for better efficiency and safety.

Im not buying a new woodstove, im looking for a old style woodstove.

My prefab has a intake vent (not sure of the fancy name). The woodstove im thinking of purchasing does not. From what I read this is a ventless. I assume I can just take out the old intake vents.

My main concern is the chimney. From what I read most prefabs are a 8 inch pipe while wood stoves are 6 inch.

What can I do about this? Any other concerns I need to watch for?

I am hoping that it will be easy, and I can take out the old fireplace and install the woodstove with little work....however I know how that goes.

Edit:

this is a corner fire place. I plan on installing a think rock floor to put the woodstove on and to also store a small amount of wood. I also plan on installing a fence around it to keep the kid safe from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.