Replacing propane stove with pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2015
PA
I live in an "A" frame cabin and have a free-standing propane stove as my only heat source. The exhaust/chimney goes straight through the roof outside. How much is involved in replacing it with a pellet stove? Can I use the same exhaust, etc? I need to pitch this idea to my landlord, so any info. is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure you can't use the same exhaust - propane has a clean exhaust, while pellets don't so need a double walled exhaust rated for pellets and/or biofuel. Does the propane heater work when there is a power outage (I believe some do). If so, then you might think about "replacing" since pellet stoves don't run without electricity. Okay, there is at least one exception out there, but I know nothing about that particular stove.

Also, means you can't take much more than a day or two away from the place during the dead of winter, unless you get a pellet furnace. Another thing to think about is what are propane prices in your area? Many places have seen the price drop so drastically that it will cost more to heat with pellets this year. Me, I live in a place where the propane price averaged over $2.50/gal this August, so pellets are still the way for me to go.

I ran all last winter with just pellet stoves, except the week I went out of town at Christmas, then my propane boiler took over once the stoves ran out of pellets. Still used propane for DHW and it is always nice to have options for heating - just a few things for you to think about.

Welcome to the site in your search for a alternate heat source.
Bogieb pretty well summed up the problem of you going to a pellet fired stove.

I would think that it would be a hard pitch to your landlord. They are going to look at if/when you move out and the next tenant doesn't want the extra work of a pellet stove. Plus, will his insurance require that the stove be installed by a licensed business?

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.