Replacing Propane Stove with Pellet - Venting Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarr70

Oct 1, 2010
Western Washington
I have an exisiting 20' vertical run of 6" double wall stove pipe for a propane freestanding stove that I am replacing with a Harman Advance Pellet Stove. I was thinking of lining the 6" existing stove pipe with 3" Bioflex dura vent. The inner wall of the exisiting 6" stove pipe is 4". Can or should I do this? The exisiting stove pipe just runs vertical through the 1st floor ceiling and through the attic out to the roof. All of the liner specs say it should only be used in masonry applications. Thanks!

IMO, you shouldn't have any issues running the flex pipe inside the existing stove pipe.

Sounds like you've got DV pipe in there.
It's rated & tested for GAS BURNING ONLY - NOT wood or pellets.
You need more clearance to combustibles with wood (18") or pellet (3")
than you've got (1") with the DV.
It's your house. Don't burn it down

Here is a picture of the stove pipe I want to line with Dura Vent 3" Bio Flex to run my pellet stove. Outside diameter is 6", inside Diameter if about 4" so I was thinking I could run the 3" flex inside it. But of course I would rather not burn the house down

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 584
Basically that looks like the same thing as Bixby has with their stoves. They have a 5 inch outer pipe and a 3 inch inside pipe that the exh travels in. In your case you want to drop a 3 inch pipe inside the 4 inch which gives you a 1/2 inch seperation between pipes then another inch between the outer shell and inner shell. i would think that would be plenty good.

I would trust only one person to allow this, and only with a signed letter- and that is your local inspector. And file a copy of that letter with your insurance company. Any use NOT specified by all of the manufacturers involved, stove, pipe, thimbles, adapters, etc will be a major problem IF you ever have a fire. Probably would not happen, with that setup, but, beleive me, a savvy insurance adjuster could negate any fire claims due to stuff like that.

From the Simpson Duravent 4 to 6-5/8" installation manual:

The Simpson Dura-Vent Direct Vent System is an engineered product that has been
designed and tested for use with an approved list of direct vent gas appliances. The
Simpson Dura-Vent warranty will be voided, and serious fire, health, or other safety
hazards may result from any of the following actions:
• Installation of any damaged Direct Vent component.
• Unauthorized modification of the Direct Vent System
• Installation of any component part not manufactured or approved by
Simpson Dura-Vent.
• Installation other than as instructed by Simpson Dura-Vent and the
appliance manufacturer.

You are attempting to use the existing direct vent for something other than it is designed & tested for.
DON'T DO IT.
It's EXACTLY this type of "bubble gum & bailing wire" installations that we read about in the papers & see on the news.
You are literally playing with fire & if you make a mistake, people can die.
DON'T DO IT.
Clear?

Replace it with some Selkirk direct vent bio pipe, should be an easy swap because it is nearly the same size. Plus it is UL listed pellet vent. so it's safe as long as installed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.