Replacing slate fireplace surround with travertine on prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastera

Feeling the Heat
Sep 8, 2008
SE Mass
I am rebuilding the hearth and surround on my Heatilator fireplace.
The issue is I need to adhere the tile to the metal parts of the fireplace. This should not be an issue as the original slate surround was installed using construction adhesive and has held for 14 years. Normal thinset will not stick to the metal well enough to last but I would rather not use construction adhesive on the tumbled travertine mosiacs.

Last resort is to adhere a thin backer board and tile over that.

Pictures on request - if I can kick the kids off the computer long enough.

Thanks
Aaron

hopefully this posts in an intelligible manner from my iPod.

Why don't you want to use construction adhesive? Are you worried about colour bleeding through? Silicone seal makes a good adhesive and comes in white and clear.

The mosaic has a glass tile, so if I use construction adhesive I'll need to paint the back of each glass white to make it look correct.

Might be that I just need to pull the glass tiles off the mesh and install them separately.

Aaron

Don't know about your clearances, but that mesh is flammable. Ok, it's not going to catch fire when embedded, but it could give off odors. - Is construction adhesive non-combustible? I am just about to install travertine mosaics - near the stove I'm installing them back to front, then pulling the mesh off when the thinset is dry (I've tested to see if this will work.... Some glue is left, but the beauty of natural soft stone is that you can give it a quick sand....)

The pattern is simple enough that I could recreate it if I had to remove the webbing.
Also might be able to stick an adhesive backed drawer liner to the front and remove the webbing.

I'll have to torch a piece of webbing to see if it goes up.

Aaron

I did the same - yes to fire, yes to stinky, but yours of course may be different (fiber glass?)

From cutting some of the web it seems like fiberglass but the glue is definately water soluble - very small amount but will crank up the heat before grouting to make sure it doesn't out-gas.

I may just get some adhesive backed drawer liner to stick to the face and mount with construction adhesive - Wish it was easier.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.