Replacing the gasket around the glass door on a Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runningman 1951

Feb 9, 2016
Erie Pennsylvania
I had the glass in my Harman XXV replaced by the dealer last winter. The glass developed a spot in the top center on the inside of the glass that couldn't be cleaned, The glass was etched beyond cleaning, so the glass was replaced under warranty. The new glass was installed, however it seemed to take the "technician" a long time to replace the glass in the door---now I know why! The top two screws have the head stripped out of them. I have new gasket material to replace the door glass gasket (rope) , but i can only get the bottom two screws out. With the gasket out and the bottom 2 screws out I am able to remove the glass, but how do I remove the screws with the stripped heads?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also is there a way to easliy remove the door? It would be easier to work on that way.

Doesn't the door just lift up and off?

Why are you replacing gasket after just one year?

Why are you replacing gasket after just one year?
When the "technician" from my local Harman dealer replaced the defective window glass at the beginning of this heating season, he created two problems:
1. the heads of the top 2 screws were stripped
2. the glass gasket was improperly installed--the rope behind the glass came out when i was routinely cleaning the glass.

I used a dremel tool with a grinding disc to cut a narrow slot into the head of the screw head so I could use a large flat bladed screw driver, a few squirts of PB Blaster and some elbow grease to remove the screws.

The dealer did provide me with new gasket material and new screws at no cost, however, i do not want him to work on my stove again. I am not impressed with his lack of mechanical skills.

Reactions: bogieb
Yes the door does lift up an off. Thanks! It would be nice if the literature said that somewhere or perhaps i just missed it.
Yeah, I looked at a manual for your stove online to see if it was somehow different from the P-series and it sayd nothing. I think the only reason I know about it for my stoves is because I read it somewhere here on the forum as I was just browsing stuff on Harman's.

2. the glass gasket was improperly installed--the rope behind the glass came out when i was routinely cleaning the glass.

The dealer did provide me with new gasket material and new screws at no cost, however, i do not want him to work on my stove again. I am not impressed with his lack of mechanical skills.

!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.